Chest Voice, Mixed Voice, Head Voice

Rate this topic

Noobx

Hi, im a 16 year old boy, my hobby is mostly to play guitar and sing, im training on my Vocal Tecniques but im having abit problem locating things, take this song for an example:

What kind of voice does he use here, Chest, Mixed or Head? When i sing in my Head Voice i dont like how it sounds, im new to the technique so it might just take some time but does artists use their head voice alot or is it just something they use every once in a while?

Basically my question is, is head voice much in use while singing?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, im a 16 year old boy, my hobby is mostly to play guitar and sing, im training on my Vocal Tecniques but im having abit problem locating things, take this song for an example:

What kind of voice does he use here, Chest, Mixed or Head? When i sing in my Head Voice i dont like how it sounds, im new to the technique so it might just take some time but does artists use their head voice alot or is it just something they use every once in a while?

Basically my question is, is head voice much in use while singing?

this guy is very talented. he's showing movement between all three.

I think Bruno Mars uses a light falsetto, or at least it sounds like that to me. But I'd recommend getting a vocal coach to help you or record yourself and note down what you think doesn't sound right. You'll find more technical help from more experience posters.

Congratulations! You are the 100th person who asks a question to which the answer is "curbing" or "mix". Your price is a 72 oz. steak straight from Texas, served by our very own Ronws.

Just messing with ya a bit. Here's a tip. A key element to this sound is a very relaxed throat with a cry or moan sound. It also really helps to not raise your larynx too high as you go up in pitch. You can do that by using a very slight yawn sensation as you inhale. After that, just browse this forum. Robert made a good one. Good luck, bro.

ps. I haven't heard Bruno Mars that often but here he proves that he's really a great singer.

jonpall is right - that is mostly curbing. There are a couple times when he flips into neutral and head otherwise it sounds like curbing. In bel canto language that is the typical passagio. This is not an easy thing to master as there is a trick to it and you need to practice the right things.

Actually, I am really good at smoking a brisket, usually 13 to 14 lbs (224 oz, 6.4 kg). I smoke it for about 12 hours on a charcoal grill with mesquite tree wood chunks and charcoal briquets. Fiesta brand brisket rub and some water in the main chamber. I have a side-fire box on it for a true smoke. The fire is in the side-fire box and the heat and smoke circulate in the main chamber and out the exhaust flue. Good stuff, I'm tellin' ya.

Okey, im currently working on mastering the vocal tecniques for Chest, Mixed and Head voice, i record myself often singing songs, however i always feel like i dont really like my voice, i have a really good ear and i can hear i sing in pitch! Also able to find songs with ear, and have an okey vocal range however there is just that i dont like my own voice, is my recorded voice better for others to hear then to hear it myself? Or is there something i must wait to get a little older to like my own voice?

Okey, im currently working on mastering the vocal tecniques for Chest, Mixed and Head voice, i record myself often singing songs, however i always feel like i dont really like my voice, i have a really good ear and i can hear i sing in pitch! Also able to find songs with ear, and have an okey vocal range however there is just that i dont like my own voice, is my recorded voice better for others to hear then to hear it myself? Or is there something i must wait to get a little older to like my own voice?

when you say you don't like your voice, are you saying it's the tone/timbre of your voice?

for example, are you too shrill, too feminine-sounding, too rough-sounding, too dull-sounding....too-wimpy, too-raspy?

are you close in timbre to any other singer? who's voice are you desirous of sounding (something) like?

Just post an example of you singing and we could possible give you tips. Note that it's best if you post an example that you're NOT happy with and one that clearly shows something that you're constantly having trouble with. Otherwise, we can't hear what might need to be fixed. It also could be an issue of you having yet to come to terms with your own voice. You have to listen to some unique timbre in it that's totally yours that you just might grow to like and even create your own style out of. Many of the greatest singers in history initially hated their voices, btw.

It's normal to dislike your own voice. At least in the begining. :)

oh god, sooooo true!!!

even now, i'm trying to accept the thinner sound i get as i extend my range..you know it has to thin, and you know it does, but deep inside psychologically you have to come to terms with it.

it can also sound nasal, and you think to yourself...oh no, not bob dylan!!! quick!!! squeeze my nose, and make sure!!

i think my voice sounds like a baby or, i mean, not really a baby but people say i sound a lot like my brother and he's got a great voice, i think atleast. Also in Mid school tenth grade when i sang to my teacher he thought it sounded great, im not really sure what i'm not happy with, it could be something like... well, i dont really know, but also i feel i dont always pronounce the words all the way and stuff like that, sometimes i feel great but when i record it i just dont like myself at all :s

half the battle with singing if self confidence...why not send over a sample? we can help you. don't even worry about sounding good...just so we can hear your unique instrument.

yeah, mayby i can fix something up ;) Any place i can share the file with you where not any others can hear it? :)

yeah, mayby i can fix something up ;) Any place i can share the file with you where not any others can hear it? :)

no, only because you have to be willing to do this, if you're going to sing in public. just a simple line or two .....even "mary had a little lamb" will do.....just want hear your voice.

a lot of folks stay "i suck i'm so bad," but then after we hear them, it's quite the opposite.

noobx I use dropbox. You can link the direct link here. It's not like youtube. It would only show up here, or wherever you decide to link it. Check out any of my threads in the review section to see how it loads into your media player.

Hey noob, I think this is the root page of your account that you linked in. That's why we can't see anything without logging in. What you need to do is drag the cursor over the song to the right end of the line and left click. A pull down will appear. Choose "copy public link." That will pop up a dialog box with a highlighted page addy and then you right click and select copy. Then come back to the posting page here and right click and paste.

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion. Sing in Bruno Mars style is very hard to do. Hes got absolutely perfect mix area and warm, velvet tone. This is my try "grenade". Acapella.

http://www.box.net/shared/vbzndxsxcz

What do you think guys?

It sounded to me like primarily head voice. Well done, carried easily. You could totally do this style of music. But I didn't really hear mix in that.