Karaoke Singing?

Rate this topic

Quincy

I've been thinking about trying some karaoke. I actually went to one of the local karaoke bars a while back to see what it was all about. So how does it work? I mean I would like to know what the back tracks sound like before I try to do it. Do you guys just do it without knowing the key or the style its in or what?

Any tips how to get into doing this. I haven't really performed much in front of people, so it is a little uncomfortable to just jump out there. Then again, I would like to put myself out there and get a little feedback. Find out what it is like. I really enjoy practicing at home, but it would be fun to try something a little different and I'm ready to challenge myself somewhat.

You can go to youtube and type in whatever song and karaoke. For example, type in open arms karaoke to get a karaoke version of the song. It will be similar enough in key and style to what you ecounter with a karaoke machine in a bar. Plus, some Karaoke machines can be transposed to a key you like.

Me, I do it with whatever they are playing. I started out as a guitar player, self-taught, so I am used to playing by ear, even though I learned music theory later on.

It's just a backing track in variable quality and something to show you the text you are supposed to sing, usually a screen with sing along style lyrics bouncing across the screen. Part of the charm is the sheer entertainment of "jumping out there" not being afraid of sounding funny. It's an excellent way to get used to stage fright. Just don't be the guy/girl who keeps singing song after song (unless the audience wants it). Those are douche-bags haha.

Some karaoke bars have private rooms so you can gather some people you know. Until everyone gets drunk and start crashing the other 'private' rooms.

Youtube is a great resource to find karaoke material.

Cheers

Fred

i'm an avid karaoke buff..here's some quick tips.

the karaoke dj will either have a book of songs, or a computer with the songs on a hard drive.

the best brands of karaoke discs are soundchoice (prefix "sc") or dk (prefix "dk").

soundchoice is pretty close to the original music and rarely in the wrong key. dk, is close to the original music too, but you may find the key is lower than the original.

depending on the dj's equipment, you have pitch variance issues...if you know you can sing the song in the original key,always ask to sing soundchoice a half step lower. you can always raise it next time rather than find it's too high for you and it's too late to do anything about it.

if you get hooked on it, you can befriend the dj, and pay him to make you copies of the songs you like, so if you go somewhere and the dj dosen't have that song, you have it. like going bowling and having your own ball....lol!!!

have fun!!!! it's good practice too.

Thanks for all the input guys. Sounds like a cool way to break the ice in a friendly environment. I know my wife would appreciate a reprieve from all the noises I make around the house. Lol!

A side note, I’ve found some pretty good quality backtracks at singercity.com. I know they have them at other places also, Rhapsody, Itunes, Amazon, etc. but I think singercity’s are better. Same price .99.

Thanks for all the input guys. Sounds like a cool way to break the ice in a friendly environment. I know my wife would appreciate a reprieve from all the noises I make around the house. Lol!

A side note, I’ve found some pretty good quality backtracks at singercity.com. I know they have them at other places also, Rhapsody, Itunes, Amazon, etc. but I think singercity’s are better. Same price .99.

no lyrics though, just the music?

Yea they are just mp3 back track files. I plug them into my Cubase recording program. I've bought them from different places, but I've noticed the instruments are a lot crisper and clean sounding, better dynamics and stereo panning. At least it seems that way to me!:D

There are a lot from Sound Choice and ProSound Music obo E.K. Ltd. which I think has some clear clean tracks.

There's nothing wrong with that, Quincy. When I was last at a karaoke event (that I sang at) one of the other singers had his own karaoke disc with the mix and key that he liked and rehearsed. And he hit it, spot on. So, yeah, get whatever mix you like and the karaoke dj will play yours for you.