Sign in to follow this  
saqib09

Basic singing course recommendation

Rate this topic

Hi,

I was wondering what singing course you would recommend for someone wanting to get a basic but comprehensive course on singing. This is not meant to answer 'how to sing high' or other 'secret' techniques etc. These things could be in the course. The point is it is a singing course, working as a comprehensive course and teaching the basics of music and singing, not necessarily 'techniques'. Doesn't have to be genre specific, in fact, shouldn't be genre specific. It would be like a guitar course that doesn't teach you how to play fingerstyle, or rock or jazz  rather teaches you all the basic things you need to know about playing guitars including music theory. While elementary jazz, blues, rock, classical, etc would be essentially part of the course I would assume, the focus is not to teach 'styles'  particularly.

I hope this was clear. Also, would be great if you shared what kind of basic training you took and how (self taught, tutor).

Thanks

You mean a course that focuses on covering all the broad fundamentals?

What would you say the broad fundamentals are? You only say what you think they are not.

Whatever a competent teacher would include in a fundamental course. I don't require it to have certain fundamentals. I need something that claims to work as an elementary-to-advanced education/training course, and which assumes no prior knowledge.

18 minutes ago, saqib09 said:

Whatever a competent teacher would include in a fundamental course. I don't require it to have certain fundamentals. I need something that claims to work as an elementary-to-advanced education/training course, and which assumes no prior knowledge.

I think you may have to get more specific about what you mean.

For example, learning how to breath correctly (not running out of breath, etc.) could be considered a broad fundamental -- i.e it will apply to all types of singing.

But, it will involve "technique" whether it is made explicit or not. Almost everything would.

Ear training -- Learning how to listen, and what to listen for, may be one major area that does not involve technique. It is more a matter of picking up experience.

Specific about what? I'm not dictating what the course should or should not have. It simply has to be an online course that teaches singing starting from the basics. What it contains or should contain is not something I'm telling or asking. If you know about such a course then that's what I want to know.

Whether anyone here wants to believe it or not, This forum was founded by someone who has a course "The Four Pillars of Singing". And it is a comprehensive course. It is worth much more than the money. You can even get a book that you can hold in your hands and read. If you prefer reading on the computer or tablet, you can download the PDF file of the book. The course itself is Videos that you watch and follow along with. 

Some people were even complaining that the first page you get to when you come to this forum is an advertisement for the course.

It covers everything you would ever want to know about how the voice works, has demonstrations of the exercises and starts off with foundation exercises.

What it does not cover is what determines different Genres, so it is not genre specific. The style you choose to sing is up to you.

It is not a music course it is a voice training course.

Thank you MDEW. This is exactly what I meant, except I am looking for something that covers music and not technique.

You could find a basic music course at your local music store. It will cover the basics. The voice is used just as any other instrument. The terms and words describing things would be the same. 

Most singing courses would be about training the voice so you can produce the pitches required. Things like when  to breath, how long to hold a note, whether or not to add vibrato....are not covered. How to do those things and what to practice to get better are.

Training for the musicality of singing is usually done while working on specific songs. When to breath, how long to hold a note, Whether to use a long flowing phrase or chop the words up syllable by syllable is determined by what you are singing and what best goes with the music. The basic MUSIC course would teach you the symbols used on the sheet music to indicate those things.

Kicking tone has a legitimate question when he asked....

7 hours ago, kickingtone said:

You mean a course that focuses on covering all the broad fundamentals?

What would you say the broad fundamentals are? You only say what you think they are not.

Are you looking for fundamentals about how to produce different sounds or what scales and pitches to use when singing different songs from different styles of music? They will not be covered in the same book or course.

A course for someone who never had any lessons on how to sing or who wants to formally learn singing. In other words, when a child/young person go to a music/singing teacher to learn singing, the training they get is what I'm looking for in online format.

I don't know how else to clarify this.

There are several books. Born to sing, Singing for the stars, Robert lunte's book Four Pillars of singing, There is one of those Dummy;s guide to singing, How to sing.

The Basics are the Basics no matter who you go with.

Learn to breathe, practice scales, practice matching notes, Practice holding notes without the pitch changing, and sing songs. 

For the money, Robert Lunte's course is the most comprehensive you could find.