So I Saw This On A Youtube Comment

Rate this topic

Yeah I know that youtube comments are not the best way to get opinions but still as popular as youtube is if anyone sees a comment like this:

Singing is mostly a talent you are born with. You can either sing or you can't sing. No amount of voice lessons or practice in the world is going to make you a good singer.

It might discourage someone to actually get vocal lessons. Comments like this really agitate me but I did give a link from TMW and told this person I'd rather listen to someone like Robert than someone who hasn't a clue on how the voice works.

I saw a video about a deaf person who wanted to learn how to play music. As would be expected most teachers did not want to take her on and colleges would not accept her in the music programs. How do you teach a deaf person to recognize and reproduce pitches?

One teacher did take her on and accepted her in a college course. I think she now has a PHD in music. First she started by Touching the walls of the studio to feel the different vibrations and the "Beat" of the music to get an idea of rhythm and syncopation. They ended up inventing a device that would give off a color that would correspond to different pitches and vibrations.She learned to imagine these colors while feeling the vibrations of sound. So, you can teach people to do things that others would think is impossible.

I think being born with a natural talent is BS. You may be born with a natural desire to improve and work on your talent, or rather to pay attention and change the things that do not sound, feel or look right or correct to you.

My brother had a desire to sing at a young age. To me he is a better singer than anyone else I have heard. People think he was born a natural singer, but I know he worked on every song he sang. If there was something he did not like about it he would work on it more. Even if he did not have formal training he did hang out with a LOT of different singers. I am sure the question was asked "How did you do that? and "How can I do that?". Or suggestions from other singers "You sounded a little off there. Try this." It was not that he opened his mouth and a beautiful expressive voice came out.

I have had to "Work" on my voice, and I continue to work on it. I have plenty of work to do but I am way better now than I was 3 years ago and I have been "singing" since I was a toddler.

5 hours ago, The Future Vocalist said:

Yeah I know that youtube comments are not the best way to get opinions but still as popular as youtube is if anyone sees a comment like this:

Singing is mostly a talent you are born with. You can either sing or you can't sing. No amount of voice lessons or practice in the world is going to make you a good singer.

It might discourage someone to actually get vocal lessons. Comments like this really agitate me but I did give a link from TMW and told this person I'd rather listen to someone like Robert than someone who hasn't a clue on how the voice works.

Yeah the statement is a bit silly when we take it at face value. No one is born a singer obviously, we can observe newborns and their vocal capabilities are rather restricted due to lack of coordination and simply not having a mature enough body.

During growth slowly the skill for speech is acquired and perfected. Probably during this stage our experiences with music, singing and how our parents deal with us can have a huge influence.

There are also personality aspects, certainly someone that is more creative, has more intelligence, or just downright loves to sing, will have an easier time to learn.

How can we address all of this and know who is who before learning happenings? I don't think we can.

And another way to look at it, is that people that have an easier time to learn, learn it *faster*. We could very well say that Talent = speed on getting results.

And if you don't learn at the same speed, you have to put more time to it. I don't think there is a way to predict who is talented and it seems to me that effort can to a reasonable degree tilt this equation.

Another aspect to this is that singing involves more than one skill. Sometimes people are not very talented with music in general due to lack of exposition early on, but once that barrier is overcome it flows nicely. Sometimes the person might have great musicianship and sensibility but lack the control to express what is in their minds.

Due to all this I think that talent matters but you can only know how talented you are by actually trying.

Often also, the fear of realizing this *potential* to whatever it may be, prevents a lot of people from giving a shot and truly commiting to learning.

• Administrator
6 hours ago, The Future Vocalist said:

COMPLETE NONE SENSE... What this does, is broadcast to the world how ignorant and uninformed the person is that is posting comments like this. Is it not obvious?

3 minutes ago, Robert Lunte said:

COMPLETE NONE SENSE... What this does, is broadcast to the world how ignorant and uninformed the person is that is posting comments like this. Is it not obvious?

Exactly Robert which is why I posted this link there - https://thevocaliststudio.com/can-anyone-learn-to-sing in hopes that people won't listen to this person and rather not only listen to you but maybe actually take lessons from you.