Singing like A. Lambert

Rate this topic

devaitis

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good. You're well connected and got good, powerful tone. My suggestion would be to try to make your sound 1 % less "dopy" sounding (you may need to raise your larynx ever so slightly) and work just a little bit on your accent.

• 2 weeks later...

Here some try. Its alfa version. To many emotions, bad breath/support and control i know. But how it sounds? Close to Adams technique?

http://www.box.net/shared/ixcn36ooh1

I put lighter version, more MLN, less curbing.

Update correct link.

Good stuff man. Good curbing, even though one could argue that the hold is slightly overdone at parts and the vowels and consonants could be improved sometimes. Try somtimes to only use vibrato at the very end of a long word or even not at all. And then sometimes use a lot of it, like you just did. Also, work on improving better english because your accent shows up in the recordings. Well, you wanted me to not hold back too much and not only be nice! ;) Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

I think you're probably using a very similar technique as Adam, yes. Congrats. Try singing the word "what" and "want" with a more of an "ah" vowel and not so much an "o" vowel. It sounds a bit like "whot" and "wont", if you ask me. Not only will it sound better and less like you have an accent, but it's a more resonant vowel for this type of singing (curbing) and it's also less straining on your throat.

Actually, you already have most of his tone. I would say a little more twang or lifting of the soft palate to exchange the "dopey" sound for something a little brighter (a stylistic choice). And I noticed that you do something I have been doing, that jonpall called me out on. And I understand where it comes from in me. What he calls a slide or note crash at the end of the note. I have realized, after hearing myself speaking in a recording, that I do it as a matter of speech. That is, I crash notes when speaking, as well. Like the bottom drops out. So, I spent this afternoon stopping a note by stopping the breath. But not by glottal closure or even labial closure (which would be easier, for example, with the consonant "p"). Some songs call for it, even some styles of emoting and it is a stylistic thing, rather than technical and, as I am learning, something a dialect or a way of learning to speak from one's culture and/or family.

So, I am not criticizing you for it, simply noting and learning from you what I need to learn for myself.

Thanks very valuable advices guys!

Light Update: Current version 2.0 :P (this same clip)

Twang +5%

Loudness +5%

Edit: So I could sing it max 15 % harder, but now I struggle with "A change is gonna come". There will be more Power, more Twang, more Rasp I promise. Be patient.

My singing A. Lambert is only to polish my technique, I dont want to sound exactly like him. I do want to sound better :)

I think you're getting a very good tone. Now I suggest that you really try to nail that english accent on the consonants and vowels. Don't accept anything less than perfection in that department! :) Since you have the talent to improve your sound that much, I'm sure you CAN work on the accent as well. And then you'll simply blow us away and make us either jealous or proud of you. Or both :)

Ok Lets get it started ooo....

http://www.box.net/shared/x1omhxygu4

Heres 11s acapella "I was born by the river in a little teen...'cut' (without "t" --- sorry). I gave strong reverb because I tried to create music with my voice only.

Should I hit it harder or sth? Is it sound good? Its my 90% power.

Personally I think my bOOOOOOOOrn needs more depth . How to do that? Maybe more AAAAAAA or O/A vowel?

When you sing "born" (which is on A4), can it be that your jaw isn't dropping much? If you drop it slightly lower - for that word - and allow the sound to get slightly louder through resonance and no pushing, I think you'll like the results. Your sound should get "more dept" that way, IMO.

It also sounds like you're singing the O vowel (as in "woman") in "born" and not Oh (as in "so"), which makes it sound a bit funny/wrong. Try using the Oh vowel, IMO. I'm pretty sure that's what Adam does in his version of that song.

Here's Adam's version:

Adam uses the Oh vowel in "born". And if you want to know what the O vowel sounds like, check out when he sings "it's been twooooo..." at 0:45 in that clip. That's the O vowel you were using for "born" in your clip - giving you a bit less powerful sound than you could have gotten. But for the word "two", the O vowel sounds great and it's no problem that the volume will be ever so slightly lower.

Of course it's all a matter of taste, but if you listen to Adam, he's somtimes singing powerfully and sometimes softly, which gives the song a great dynamic feel, as opposed to if he were to sing the entire song powerfully or the entire song softly.

Your sound should get "more dept" that way

Yes, but I lose "hold" and it gets the same loudness and less sharp.

That's right. I intentionally didn't mention that because a) I didn't want to get too wordy and B) I didn't want to overly confused you (or other readers), because this topic has surely been confusing to me in the past.

Yes, I'm asking you to actually lose the hold for that single word. That's what Adam does, IMO, on that same word. (Although I believe that some singers may not necessarily experience a loss of hold when they do this (f.e.x. me, sometimes) - even though that's what happens in reality. )

Could you try it out and post it for the fun of it? :)

I might try that tonight. But until then, you can hear me do this (actually two half steps higher on B4) in my Separate ways thread:

http://www.punbb-hosting.com/forums/themodernvocalist/viewtopic.php?id=1898

...when I sing "Feeling that it's goooone..." (even though some words in this clip of mine are a bit shaky, especially in the chorus, which I hate to listen to again - so don't ;) )

Since Adam is singing Oh on A4 and he has a lighter voice than me, my voice might sound too thick in that scentence in that clip for some people's taste. I wonder if Bob thinks it's too thick because he likes meat on his singers :)

Btw. if you must take a rest, you're probably doing it slightly incorrectly, which is actually very normal when you're learning this stuff. Hey, I'm in that process myself. But I've gotten better at stopping when I get unbalanced and finding that balance again. Too bad it's impossible to do that live...

I just remember bobs version. Why am I model (imitate, copy) Adams version , no Seals, no Cooks, no Bobs?

Because Adams color and tone is the closest to mine. Thats the easiest way.

Thanks for your effort.

But perhaps I'll give it a shot

It will be so helpful man!

Here I made the comparison:

Firstly live Adam's performance then my effort. Its better and more reliable then studio version.

http://www.box.net/shared/yhkbnyj7un