Am I bridging or belting chest ?

Rate this topic

Exhale

Hi everybody...

I'm pretty new to singing process. In general I have always loved singing but never thought about how to do it wisely. I would like to hear your comments about this passage.

http://www.box.net/shared/qlrkglqhl0

I Apologize for the wrong lyrics, English - not my mother language, I was singing by ear, as I've heard. But overall, I think you can understand :)

Apologize for the quality of the record, this is a cheap digital pocket recorder. Now I do not have the technical equipment at hand, as am not at home, I'm on vacation. I would like first of all to know am I bridging to head voice or belting chest ?

Best Regards

I am very grateful to everyone for feedbacks. :)

At first I just wanted to know which way I sing, because I heard about the dangers of 'chest belting' or 'pulling chest'.

As I can see from Jens' answer I correspond to CVT modes. I know just a little 'bout them, I bought CVT book 3 months ago and now I'm currently doing the translation. Also i'm doing some exercises from this book from time to time (I have already translated half of the book, covering all the modes).

Here's the second problem and some of my singing biography:

When I sang a long time ago, I did not think that there are some kind of modes and vowel modifications. And the high notes of course experienced discomfort and sometimes pain. I think I was yelling in chest voice or belting (as I think) because I was basically inspired by Iron Maiden and Bruce's type of sound. I had terrible inflamations of the throat. Phoniatrician diagnosed 'developing nodules' and has prescribed injections and vocal rest. After the problem has gone I decided to figure out how to bridge correctly to head voice. I watched tons of Youtube videos and after couple of weeks I found how to bridge rather smoothly. But at that moment my head voice sounded very little like an old lady.

I thought that it would be funny to sing the classics of ROCK with the voice like that. After that I became acquainted with the term 'mixed voice' and this became the new chapter of the confusion in my vocal career... I've tried to maintain a split resonance half a head / half a chest. That was such a confusion so I decided to stop.

Then I discovered this TMV forum. I found good feedbacks about CVT program and decided to buy it. I liked that there was no conversations on transitive registers, bridging and other confusion. All vocal sound production splits on 4 modes. That's very comfortable and easy to understand.

I worked on my support, overall principles, Curbing and Overdrive. Now I'm able to sing longer without gettin pain. But despite this, after about an hour of singing, my voice still noticeably tired and if I'm going to sing for another half hour or an hour, will be a little hoarseness, which may not pass away till the next morning. So the main question is: Am I blurring the modes in the high part of the voice ?????

So, you are singing about as long as a professional singer in a show? You will get a little tired, especially if you are doing that every night. Here's what the pros do when they have a heavy schedule, like 4 or 5 shows in a week because they get just as tired. They do the show. And then, they rest the other 22 hours. And drink water. Water and rest. Rest and water.

For me, the highest notes and and vowels approach each other. The highest note requires the smallest resonating space, which also tends to have the mouth and throat shape of the ah sound. So, for example, Mariah Carey does not articulate a lyric in her whistle register. She plays the register like a flute, as a sonic melody. Lyrics happen much lower, in the alto to soprano range.

No, I'm not a professional singer. But I sing almost everyday 1 or 2 hours, not more.

And I'm often getting little hoarse. When I start to feel it, I immediatly stop singing.

I think the reason is that I still lack experience and skills in singing. I sing so far only from an emotional point of view.

CVT contains so much information that I can not even imagine how it's all to remember!

If it is fair, most likely I still strain on high notes and I need to study CVT aspects more deeply.

On the other hand, it is logical, since I still absolutely can not change the modes correctly, sometimes I'm trying to sing C#5 OVerdrive, or too loud in Curbing, which leads to Overdrive, etc. Hundreds of incorrect combinations...

But I think there's nothing to be scared of. Everyone certainly encountered similar difficulties in the first months of training.

So I will keep trying and so on :) ....

my suggestion is sing for 15 minutes and rest for 15 minutes and continue like that instead of doing a 2 hour set. it's like lifting weights, when your training you need rest inbetween if your singing songs that are challenging. Training is done to build up stamina for the real performances