"Holy Diver" - Dio Cover

Rate this topic

GroovyGustavo

Sounds great Groovy. So, let us know what type of training you went through to get to this point. Most of our members are just starting out and getting their feet wet in the singing game.  It would be nice to hear some of your thoughts on singing as well as letting us hear you sing.

Did you just start off singing like this or did you work on the same problems that some of us has faced? Maybe you could add insight on the breathing thread that was started recently. 

Thank you man!

So, for my whole life I've been mostly self-taught, not really "formal training" as you would call it. But what I did do to train my voice was a lot of experimentation, a lot of trial and error of what worked and what didn't and I am STILL in that process. I always wanted to do hard songs from the get go, and some where just not possible at the time, but I still did what I could with them, because not only did it help me become a better singer, it helped my musicality grow as well, to find different ways to sing a song, but always carrying the same message which I feel is essential in singing.

Hell no, I sucked when I was starting. Everyone does, I've probably worked on most problems people have here. Usually to practice something I lack, I pick a song that has a lot that which I don't have. And I practice it until I have it, other people may do scales. But I feel it's a waste of time unless you are having trouble with pitch, then they help. Because in my opinion you're not really going to sing scales in front of a crowd, you're gonna be doing songs and I just prefer to build up my experience singing songs and not have to worry of doing scales and then applying that to singing. But that's just my thinking because I am self-taught, a voice teacher would probably say otherwise, but that is just what helped me.

Thank you for replying. I listened to a few other songs that were under your profile. Is that you singing Elvis, Elton John, Sinatra and so forth? If so they all sounded good to my ears. I usually find the same style throughout someones soundcloud recordings. If they sing Rock or country that is all you find not both. A few of the songs are songs that I also sing and play on the Guitar. Elvis, Elton John, John Denver.

I am still working on "House of the Rising Sun". I cannot get the higher parts to sound right. I can sing them but the tone is off somehow.

8 hours ago, GroovyGustavo said:

Hell no, I sucked when I was starting.

I think a lot of new singers need to hear this kind of statement from other singers. Many people get discouraged because they think others are born with talent but not themselves. It takes a lot of work to get a "Naturally good and talented" voice. 

Did you research any vocal training programs or books to get an idea of how to make yourself sound better or was it mainly record and listen making changes along the way?

Yes, it's me singing the other tunes. Thank you.

I like to experiment with a lot of different vocal stylings, textures.

And yeah, House of The Rising Sun is a tough one. His high notes are really wide open and resonant, with like an AW sound, the more you open it the stronger the sound will get. You just have to find the right placement for them. Also if the close vowels he uses, like on "sewed" "only", etc.. give you trouble, just go to a open vowel then close it, that's how I do it.

And let me say something, discipline can win over talent ANY day. AS you long as you have the resolve to do so. My highest note before was a strained E4, just for reference.

On 9/18/2019 at 8:28 AM, MDEW said:

Did you research any vocal training programs or books to get an idea of how to make yourself sound better or was it mainly record and listen making changes along the way?

It's a mix of both. I researched Ken Tamplins Vocal Academy,  I have the course, but only use it once in a while because I also have my own methods.

I MOSTLY record and listen, and make changes. Because I feel that's one of the only ways to grow as a singer. You have to know how your voice operates before you use it. Otherwise you  may crash. Like a car.

I thought I heard a little Tamplin influence. I did make gains through "TheFourPillars" Robert Lunte's program. I have not followed it Like I should have, I do not have the Time and privacy, and never did.  I have to choose songs that other people can tolerate. One member of the household only listens to Country/bluegrass Gospel and the other only likes songs Nickleback would sing. I have to float in a happy medium while practicing. I started working on Elvis songs because that is the closest to "Classical" singing I could find and keep peace. Not that I want to sing classical music or anything but I wanted to find something with that big sound of Classical Tenors that I could use for training.

1 hour ago, singing squirrel said:

did you not say on another forum that you had never trained or practiced before?

Huh? I said I didn't have formal training. Not that I didn't train. I think you misunderstood.

I have trained for 7-8,9 years by myself with no formal training. With of course tips from other people. 

3 hours ago, MDEW said:

I thought I heard a little Tamplin influence. I did make gains through "TheFourPillars" Robert Lunte's program. I have not followed it Like I should have, I do not have the Time and privacy, and never did.  I have to choose songs that other people can tolerate. One member of the household only listens to Country/bluegrass Gospel and the other only likes songs Nickleback would sing. I have to float in a happy medium while practicing. I started working on Elvis songs because that is the closest to "Classical" singing I could find and keep peace. Not that I want to sing classical music or anything but I wanted to find something with that big sound of Classical Tenors that I could use for training.

your not seruisly been lead astray MD by your fellow house mates

Did you do a little less conversation song by any chnace

11 hours ago, singing squirrel said:

your not seruisly been lead astray MD by your fellow house mates

Did you do a little less conversation song by any chnace

I have not been led astray, I have been showing respect for others while still doing what I like to do.

I have not worked on "A Little Less Conversation". It is not my style to tell a Girl to shut her mouth and do what I want her to do as the song suggests. I try to sing songs that fit my own personality. "One night With You' "My Way" "You were Always on My Mind" and such have a subject matter that fits a little better and would be more believable with me singing than "A Little Less Conversation".