Help on twanging

Rate this topic

wingedsheep

Hey people,

I just started singing in a band. But after a few hours of practice my voice tires out because i tend to strain on singing the high notes loudly. Well i guess they aren't really high notes for people who know how to sing well, around e/f4. But i can't sing loud enough in my head voice (or maybe it is falsetto then) to use it, so I sing everything in my chestvoice.

I don't think my problem is in support, cause it seems to be working well. But more likely in twang. A little while ago i noticed i could sing much louder, and make support feel a lot more effective while trying to get twang. Though i can't reproduce it everytime i try, and i don't really know if i'm doing it correctly. It made my voice louder, but it also created some tension in the jaw muscles.

Do any of you have any hints or tips on how twang should feel, and how to easily produce it. I know it should sound like a crying baby or a witch, but then again, I could imagine lots of ways to produce such a sound.

Hey people,

I just started singing in a band. But after a few hours of practice my voice tires out because i tend to strain on singing the high notes loudly. Well i guess they aren't really high notes for people who know how to sing well, around e/f4. But i can't sing loud enough in my head voice (or maybe it is falsetto then) to use it, so I sing everything in my chestvoice.

I don't think my problem is in support, cause it seems to be working well. But more likely in twang. A little while ago i noticed i could sing much louder, and make support feel a lot more effective while trying to get twang. Though i can't reproduce it everytime i try, and i don't really know if i'm doing it correctly. It made my voice louder, but it also created some tension in the jaw muscles.

Do any of you have any hints or tips on how twang should feel, and how to easily produce it. I know it should sound like a crying baby or a witch, but then again, I could imagine lots of ways to produce such a sound.

twang will be noticed as a brighter sound, like an eq boost. you'll feel like something has released and gotten easier especially in the higher notes. it can, though, give you a sound you need to "psychologically accept" because you may think inside it's too shrill, but oftentimes your recordings will prove otherwise.

i always refer to jon bonjovi vocals for a good, blatant, rock example..he uses it a lot and does it well.

I don't know exactly if it's twang but when I keep the larynx relaxed and relax/expand the throat I hear an insane increase in "ring" inside my head. It's very thrill and I can see when I sing into a spectrum analyser some peaks/formats are shooting to the roof without changing the note at all. It felt a bit uncomfortable at first and it almost overpowers the music I am singing to but I've been at it for a few weeks and find the easier I can "slide"/relax into it the better it sounds inside my head too. I am not 100% if its only twang though so take whatever I said with a pound of salt.

+1 to Jovi. Axl Rose another?

/edit

I actually meant soft palate and not larynx up there in the first sentence. Can't edit now that you replied and quoted VH :). That's the way I found that insane "ring/edge" to my voice anyway. And I'm pretty sure it's twang. I tried it in a conversation just for fun but it wound up sounding really funny. Effort level was almost a whisper but the person I was talking too said I was screaming (and sounding odd at the same time haha). I'm finding vocal acoustic to be a blast these days. Amazing vocals on the Sam Cooke song/karaoke contest by the way Bob. Had no idea you were that good! Made my day.

Cheers

Fred

I don't know exactly if it's twang but when I keep the larynx relaxed and relax/expand the throat I hear an insane increase in "ring" inside my head. It's very thrill and I can see when I sing into a spectrum analyser some peaks/formats are shooting to the roof without changing the note at all. It felt a bit uncomfortable at first and it almost overpowers the music I am singing to but I've been at it for a few weeks and find the easier I can "slide"/relax into it the better it sounds inside my head too. I am not 100% if its only twang though so take whatever I said with a pound of salt.

+1 to Jovi. Axl Rose another?

definitely...axl is twanging all over the place

Thanks for the replies. I think Fred is talking about the same kind of twang I was wondering about.

Fred can you explain how you make that twanged sound? Can you describe what you're doing?

I tried finding the Edge mode, used in CVT. And they explain it needs twang. but whatever i do, it keeps feeling like overdrive. and the highest i can possibly take it is G4 and thats on a good day.

Anyone here who know something about CVT who could explain this mode, and how to 'get' it? Or anyone else who can help me with singing notes above the E4/F4 loudly without straining?

Sounds more like a typical " passagio " problem than a twang problem. The answer is thus more likely to be CVT's curbing than twang (or Edge, not saying Edge couldn't help you, but it's probably not what you're looking for) :)

A record of your voice would help us determine what exactly is your problem, helping us help you better. You probably need to let your registration get lighter and support harder (which means exhaling less air), at the very least.

Maybe you're right, the only mode that allows me to sing high is neutral (to around F5). I was wondering about edge because i often have to sing loud, and curbing is only medium volume. But then again, maybe the solution to singing in curbing brings me closer to singing in edge. And I was wondering about twang because a singing teacher told me twang could help making the head voice sound less light, and to add more volume to it.

I could record something. What should i record to best figure out what to improve/ change?

Maybe you're right, the only mode that allows me to sing high is neutral (to around F5). I was wondering about edge because i often have to sing loud, and curbing is only medium volume. But then again, maybe the solution to singing in curbing brings me closer to singing in edge. And I was wondering about twang because a singing teacher told me twang could help making the head voice sound less light, and to add more volume to it.

I could record something. What should i record to best figure out what to improve/ change?

"It's my Life" by Bon Jovi would be a good start.

My desktop mic clips out when I do it and I know it's note quite exactly just twang, as the soft palate is not raised properly. As soon as my new sound-card arrives I'll give it a shot (although I can't do it quite on command yet, some days I either have it or I don't).

Check Visual Analyser out (http://www.sillanumsoft.org/). I sat with a candle 1½" in front of my mouth looking into a mirror and tried relaxing/lifting/expanding the throat area until I found a "ring" and just expanded it. On a low "Ah" vowel" (around D2 or something) almost all formants gets sharper, two and third is boosted and the whole 2.3-3.0kHz area is lifted at the same time I hear the "ring" inside my head. I'm a little vary of getting stuck on technical stuff but sometimes it's great tools.

Cheers

Fred

For me personally, I discovered twanging by singing with a wide smile (or the way Country singers sing, with that southern accent). Basically, try stretching your mouth as you sing...Even though, this is not necessarily how twang is mainly created, but it'll help you access it.