transistion

Rate this topic

Billy Budapest

When you guys are doing the transition from chest to head by doing scales, does the part where it's "in between" get a bit raspy?

I can sing in my chest. I can sing in my head (I can sing in my shower!) but when I do scales, especially on lahs, that part can get a bit

scratchy. I've tried backing off the volume and that helps a bit, but then it takes the resonance out of it.

just didn't know if it was a common deal. I'm trying to change my approach a bit so that I am not ALWAYS belting songs out, so the transition from chest to head, done quietly, is the big focus right now.

I can sing in my shower too !

It's not supposed to be anymore raspy than any other part of your voice. I'd say it is an indication of improper technique. Do you have a recording of this to help others help you better than me ? :)

Hi, yeah, I don't have a clip at this point. I can probably put one together, but yeah, I really don't want that rasp there if it's unintentional. To me, that signifies damage. I've been a singer forever, but I'm just kind of re-evaluating things and trying to make things easier. However, I do this every few years and it seems it always gives me trouble. It's almost like my lower voice is great, then when I cross over, I kind of tense up to go into the head voice. Not trying to, just seems to happen.

I'm hoping it'll just get stronger by doing this, but I also don't want to create problems.

When you guys are doing the transition from chest to head by doing scales, does the part where it's "in between" get a bit raspy?

I can sing in my chest. I can sing in my head (I can sing in my shower!) but when I do scales, especially on lahs, that part can get a bit

scratchy. I've tried backing off the volume and that helps a bit, but then it takes the resonance out of it.

just didn't know if it was a common deal. I'm trying to change my approach a bit so that I am not ALWAYS belting songs out, so the transition from chest to head, done quietly, is the big focus right now.

bill, just a thought...are you sure it's not a little throat rattle/resonance?...desirable...post a clip

BillyBudapest: The resonance configuration will help this, but a technique you can use to keep the rasp out (if that is your desire) is to let the laryngeal adjustment be just a little less muscular. The way to accomplish this is to think a teeny bit of 'H' into the note, not alot so you can hear it get breathy, just enough to have a little more airflow.

Thanks Steven. Yeah, I'm all about "less muscular" and would love to take all of that kind of "muscling the note" out of my singing and that's kind of what I'm trying to concentrate on these days. I actually had a gig last year where that TOTALLY happened for me. There was hardly ANY sensation and my notes were just falling out with ease. It was awesome, but I haven't been able to get back to it.

"Muscling the Note" when you're singing twice a week actually is doable. However, I've recently doubled my singing load, and that muscle approach is giving me problems with a bit of swelling and messing with my voice and my head. Actually went for a small dose of prednisone (tablets) because it was just compounding, but I have performances booked. If the swelling compounds, it takes more muscle to get things out and you do more damage. So with the swelling removed some, I can actually focus on HOW to sing correctly instead of just getting the stuff out any way I can, does that make sense? This is something I've only done in my life in extreme situations and probably once every 4 years when I get knocked down by a bad virus or something- but I digress, sorry.

Not sure what you mean about "resonance configuration" there Steven. In fact, I see a ton of stuff in this forum where I'm like "what are you guys talking about?" I've been going through Ken Tamplin's stuff a lot. Can't tell if it's helping me yet because of issues like the one I'm having. I do like him though. Great guy to talk with.

Sorry, I've rambled. Time to lay off the Caffeine!