Despair

Rate this topic

cvineyard

Okay, so I have come to a point where I start to doubt whehter I could ever have a voice like a normal classical singer. I know many people may have asked this question already, but is it possible that some people are just not made to become singers? Is it possible that my voice is just hopeless? I've been singing for five years and I've been taking lessons. I have almost everything except a good voice--I can sight-read very well, stay in tune, learn new music quickly, and I have even overcome a great deal of my stage fright and can do better in actual performances than in practicing. Most importantly, I LOVE singing and I know I will keep singing, and I cannot imagine a life without experiencing music and making music.

That said, however, reality has to be faced. My voice is just hopeless. It is thin and plain, and it pretty much consists of my speaking voice and a few high notes (up to a B, but not the soprano C unless I'm screaming). I cannot blend my voice in the middle--I've tried, for FIVE YEARS, under two different voice teachers, and still cannot do it well. I sing alto in all my choirs, not because I am truly an alto, but because I cannot sing the soprano notes well enough. In truth, my alto notes are not much better, because I sound like a pop singer or simply a speaker among all my fellow altos, whose rich and beautiful voices are at least twice as loud. As much as I love my choirs, it is usually a terrible vocal experience for me, because I can barely go up to an octave above middle C after singing low notes for a while. I know exactly how the music and my voice should sound like, but that's not what comes out of my mouth.

If you hear me sing, you would not know that I have been taking lessons and training my voice classically, and you would not believe how much effort & time I have put into it. I practice almost every single day, or at least I sing every day, and I have a BURNING desire to sing like a soprano and sail up there. I would probably make a fine pop or rock singer, but too bad I love classical music and operas, and I want to have a voice with which I can set myself free and "sing my heart out", so to speak. Now some people think I'm taking this too seriously, but really, if I don't have such an overwhelming desire to improve my voice so I can sing whatever I want to sing, why on earth would I have kept going for five years without seeing a hint of success? I'm not a professional musician and I have to sacrifice many things to keep singing, but I don't regret that. The only thing that frustrates me is the fact that I'm not improving and it looks like I never will.

This has become a rather long post...but I'm really desperate. I just want to know if I'm completely hopeless, and should probably give up my opera fantasies and try other styles of music instead. I've heard that it takes some great singers more than ten years to get to where they are. That may be true, but they may have talents I don't have, and maybe five more years would still not make a difference for me. I know many people, my fellow voice students,for example, who have beautiful voices since childhood, and who could do what I've been trying to do without any effort or training. Should I just accept what life has given me, should I move on, or am I just crazy?

Okay, so I have come to a point where I start to doubt whehter I could ever have a voice like a normal classical singer. I know many people may have asked this question already, but is it possible that some people are just not made to become singers? Is it possible that my voice is just hopeless? I've been singing for five years and I've been taking lessons. I have almost everything except a good voice--I can sight-read very well, stay in tune, learn new music quickly, and I have even overcome a great deal of my stage fright and can do better in actual performances than in practicing. Most importantly, I LOVE singing and I know I will keep singing, and I cannot imagine a life without experiencing music and making music.

That said, however, reality has to be faced. My voice is just hopeless. It is thin and plain, and it pretty much consists of my speaking voice and a few high notes (up to a B, but not the soprano C unless I'm screaming). I cannot blend my voice in the middle--I've tried, for FIVE YEARS, under two different voice teachers, and still cannot do it well. I sing alto in all my choirs, not because I am truly an alto, but because I cannot sing the soprano notes well enough. In truth, my alto notes are not much better, because I sound like a pop singer or simply a speaker among all my fellow altos, whose rich and beautiful voices are at least twice as loud. As much as I love my choirs, it is usually a terrible vocal experience for me, because I can barely go up to an octave above middle C after singing low notes for a while. I know exactly how the music and my voice should sound like, but that's not what comes out of my mouth.

If you hear me sing, you would not know that I have been taking lessons and training my voice classically, and you would not believe how much effort & time I have put into it. I practice almost every single day, or at least I sing every day, and I have a BURNING desire to sing like a soprano and sail up there. I would probably make a fine pop or rock singer, but too bad I love classical music and operas, and I want to have a voice with which I can set myself free and "sing my heart out", so to speak. Now some people think I'm taking this too seriously, but really, if I don't have such an overwhelming desire to improve my voice so I can sing whatever I want to sing, why on earth would I have kept going for five years without seeing a hint of success? I'm not a professional musician and I have to sacrifice many things to keep singing, but I don't regret that. The only thing that frustrates me is the fact that I'm not improving and it looks like I never will.

This has become a rather long post...but I'm really desperate. I just want to know if I'm completely hopeless, and should probably give up my opera fantasies and try other styles of music instead. I've heard that it takes some great singers more than ten years to get to where they are. That may be true, but they may have talents I don't have, and maybe five more years would still not make a difference for me. I know many people, my fellow voice students,for example, who have beautiful voices since childhood, and who could do what I've been trying to do without any effort or training. Should I just accept what life has given me, should I move on, or am I just crazy?

my suggstion is twofold, don't ever give up, and contact steven fraser on the forum. he's the guy who can help and evaluate things for you.

Okay, so I have come to a point where I start to doubt whehter I could ever have a voice like a normal classical singer...

Bob (VIDEOHERE) Mentioned he thought I could help. I will be happy to help you, but I need more to go on than your own estimation of how you sound. When you can, please post a recording of your own voice, singing the C major scale from middle C to the G above the staff, on an 'ah' vowel.

We will go from there.

Oh, and while you are at it, pick a classical song you already know, and get ready to record some phrases of it for us. There is _nothing_ like hearing a singer's musicality to help assess talent.

Looking forward to your response. Keep the faith. Bob was right... never give up.

Having read half a dozen books on singing from various coaches from Jaime Vendera to Roger Love, even the most famous singers don't like their own voices. It is because they cannot hear how they sound, even in recording. Because they "filter" the recorded sound through their own estimation of themselves. Totally psychological and sometimes insurmountable. And why is it that we set ourselves up for failure or seek something we think is unattainable but seek it, nevertheless. I am 6' 6" tall. How productive is it for me to wish I was the height of Ronnie James Dio, who was dwarfed by every one in his band except for bassist Rudy Sarzo, who was approximately his height?

On the other side of the coin, no retreat, no surrender. Maybe you have not found the coach yet that can help you. I know this will come as a shock and I don't know how to soften it but there is variability in "classical" teachers, as well, each one with his/her own sensibilities and methods. I, like others, could but only recommend that you let Steven help you. He has helped so many others, of all styles. And his background is classical and choral. Since before he could read.

So, he really will need some kind of recording of you to assess what your sound is. And you will have to trust that he knows what he is talking about, reaching from "Jesus Christ, Superstar" to "Ave Maria." And all points in between.

You're just crazy.

...Seriously, you've got the wong vocal coach, since you got little or no progress in five years. Post a clip and let Steven save your life. Some of us might also be able to give you additional pointers that you could try out.

Still it's high even for a soprano, not the highest sopranos though if i was a women it's tons better to be a alto. :P most highertyped womens have trouble singing fullout and mostly live in headvoice. Thats why almost all Diva singers is alto's or mezzo's

Hi cvineyard, don't despair! You just haven't found the right coach/technique. I too have struggled for years with my classical voice, even though I am working on singing metal now, but I started working with CVT and Singing and the actor and even though I haven't had a good teacher yet (can't afford one for now) I can tell you I've progressed A LOT by working by myself, recording my voice and working on my voice with proven techniques. There are great books and materials that teach great technique, and you just need to find the right teacher. I am sorry to say that I've gone through at least 6 different classical singers and none of them have actually made me improve, but I won't give up! I'm saving to get some Skype lessons, but until then, I'll keep working with the books I have and all the great advice on the forum!

Thank you so much everyone, I really appreciate your kind responses! Sorry about the rant...I was really upset, as you can tell. I would work on getting some recordings and keep trying. My current voice teacher is actually a really great person, and it is almost impossible for me to think of finding a new one...but I know what you guys mean, and maybe I'll just give it another shot and see..

Don't give your vocal coach "another shot". It would like be giving up or staying in status quoe. Sure, keep on going to him/her if you want, but seek someone else as well. A very, very good idea would be to post a clip here like Steven suggests.

hey cvineyard....i had similar problems...my vocal coach became my best friend, but i had to stop taking lessons from her. She was confused and criticized the chording? of songs i wanted to do like "Take hold of the Flame" etc. She only advocated pop and classical singing, and recognized virtually none of the terms I was bringing her from this site. Although a great "choir?" singer in her own right I just wasn't getting what i needed from her, couldn't understand what she was trying to tell me to do (support, relaxed tongue wise etc). Anyway, i KNEW i could do what my mind heard me doing, like I knew i could breathe...so i didn't give up. Kept reading the information here, got training material as I could and used it....and after much time (which could have been sped up tremendously if I had worked with one of the instructors here), have actually began to "get it", and more and more pieces keep falling into place ;) its like "ah HA" that's what they meant!!! ;) I still look forward to the day i can get even MORE training material and work with Jamie, James, Robert or etc....i prefer the rock style, but being a gal and loving the new symphonic metal thing, may need Mr. Stevens help too :) "Never Never never give up....." (Churchill....).....

Thank you so much everyone, I really appreciate your kind responses! Sorry about the rant...I was really upset, as you can tell. I would work on getting some recordings and keep trying. My current voice teacher is actually a really great person, and it is almost impossible for me to think of finding a new one...but I know what you guys mean, and maybe I'll just give it another shot and see..

cvineyard, i hope you're not gonna be one of our posters who tell us how bad you suck, and then turn around and sound great....because if that's the case, then i'll just have to turn around and shoot you......lol!!!!

please place a high premium on confidence and mental imagery...did you know this alone can make you improve?

addendum: are you perhaps placing to much responsibility on your teacher so your success rather than on yourself?