A couple of interesting question about Singing Programs?

Rate this topic

Vibe

Hey folks!

I have a couple of questions for you and you might actually find that their answers will benefit you too :)

So let's dive in:

Besides Raise Your Voice, i also have the Robert Lunte Four Pillars Of Sound, Jim Gillette's Vocal Power and James Lugo - Vocal Asylum.

Now the reason i have all the other programs (all were purchased after i got RYV) is because i felt like my workouts were too short and i wanted to add something to it, maybe to learn a new insight, a new technique, or in the worst case refresh my memory with something I've heard before but forgot all about it :)

So my first two question are:

1) What do you think about Robert Lunte's program?

2) What do you think about James Lugo's program?

Now my point is to combine them all together, so at the moment this is my singing workout routine:

1) The Ultimate Breathing Method exercises

2) Warm-up

3) Jim Gillette's Scales

4) Robert Lunte's Four Pillars Exercises

5) RYV Exercises

6) Vibrato Exercises from Brett Manning's CD (just added it for fun and to improve my vibrato)

7) Sing 4-5 songs (Some power metal stuff)

8) Warm down

Altogether it takes about a hour and a half to complete, sometimes two hours.

So my next question is, what do you think about this routine?

I tried to do TVS (Robert Lunte) one time before Jim's scales, but i found it a lot better to do the opposite.

Another thing that Lunte is saying, is that we need to thin out the "EEEs" so get into the head register and not get stuck in chest, and personally i don't get "stuck in chest" when i don't thin out the "EEEs" and as a result i noticed that my high notes are a lot more powerful than Lunte's and his student's are, because they thin them out (or maybe i should do the same, just for the sake of exercise?)

Bottom line question is, what do you guys think would be the perfect combination of these programs and in what order?

And what do you think about Robert Lunte vs James Lugo? (I'm leaving Jaime out of the picture here because to me his RYV book is the freaking bible!)

P.S

If your answer is: "Depends on what you want to sing", thins Tobias Sammet from Edguy, Johny Gioli from Axl Rudy Pell, and The dude from Shinedown that i always forget his name :D

Best of Best,

Vibe

He probably means over-orchestrating in the sense that you're over planning, which I can understand. It seems like you have a very stringent regimen mapped out for yourself. If it works for you, and remains enjoyable, then more power to you.

But I can see where one might lost interest and start to think of it as drudgery. At the end of the day, you still want it to be fun.

• Administrator

You sing closed vowels lower in your range... when you approach your passagio and into the head voice, you deploy dipthongs...

In order to get the most out of "The Four Pillars of Singing" you have to train with me. Flat out, bottom-line... if you want to get truly serious about what your doing, take some internet lessons and then you will understand what it is Im doing and what Im teaching and i can answer your questions.

Also, your post is not a "couple of interesting questions"... it is a post that invites members to begin to have a discussion about "lunte vs lugo" and "what do you like about this program and that vs other programs". We are not going to have this discussion on this forum. The TMV Forum is not here for people to do book reviews.

If you want to discuss with us your vocal technique and upload some files of you singing so we can actually hear what your doing, then thats great. So, lets hear you sing... let us help you on what you are doing and Ill be happy to explain for you what you need to understand about "Lunte's" Program,,, but if you think we are going to open this forum to "lunte vs lugo" type discussions, and book reviews, you are sadly mistaken. It wont happen. If it does, I will delete this discussion in a New York second.

Also, I will remind you all of the rules of this forum in regards to discussing other programs and systems, pasted below. If this becomes a bitch party about anyone's program, I will delete the post... period.

End of story...

The Modern Vocalist Rules of Engagement:

1). Any post you make should be relevant to the forum topic.

2).Any companies' products are encouraged to be discussed on this forum if they are related to singing.

3). The Modern Vocalist is not a platform for directly plugging or advertising your products and services, however we understand that from time to time, subscribers will request information regarding products and services or a particular vocal product or service may be recommended to address someone's problem or question. Recommendations in the context of answering questions to help a forum member on their vocal training is ok. Please use prudence.

4). If you post any comment that is a critique of another vocal training "system", book, DVD or school... please post something of merit in regards to that training system, book, DVD or school. Maintain objective and balanced commentary.

5). Do not post messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or are otherwise of questionable content (if you have to ask, the answer is 'No.')

6). Maintain respect for others and refrain from insults or belittling other peoples postings. In a heated discussion, "RESPOND", don't "REACT".

7). Post new threads in the most suitable section. Read the section descriptions before starting a thread to ensure you are posting in the right place.

7). Help other members assist you with your problem by posting all relevant information about the problem you are experiencing. Steps, work flow and previous trouble-shoots will generate a helpful response.

Failure to meet these rules can result in a post deletion, thread closure, ban, or site wide IP blocking.

Important note: Please make sure your security/privacy settings are set to default or minimized so that your browser will accept cookies to prevent any issues with registration or login.

Please upload an Avatar and customize your username so that you have a unique ID on the forum. It helps make our forum more interesting and fun.

I was trying to compose a reply earlier to this and it was turing into another book.

Anyway, find a sound that you want and can do and stick with it. It's not necessary to be the singer of all things at all times.

Mick Jagger was an accounting major at university when he met remnants from the Yardbirds and Small Faces. And he's made millions from that funky voice and chicken walk.

Pick what you want from each system, like a salad bar. I do and I personally top mine with ranch dressing.:D

There are good things to be had from each system. But it doesn't mean you have to follow them all. Or hold one over the other as the best. Choose the one that works best for what you want to do. Without contention.

He probably means over-orchestrating in the sense that you're over planning, which I can understand. It seems like you have a very stringent regimen mapped out for yourself. If it works for you, and remains enjoyable, then more power to you.

But I can see where one might lost interest and start to think of it as drudgery. At the end of the day, you still want it to be fun.

you are so right validar...

vibe....you really have to come to terms that if you are going to vocal exercise 5 or 6 days a week, gains will come but they may be gradual along with setbacks and lulls, and sticking points but i can tell you personally as i close in my first committed year, i have made gains....and i am so happy.