Inflammation due to acid reflux...

Rate this topic

mthms1111

I would appreciate any recommendations for myself and for my students.

I recently went through a long bout of hoarseness and throat pain. It came at the end of a respiratory infection, but stuck around for several weeks after I had already taken the antibiotics and recovered from the infection.

I went to see my ENT and had a scope done. He told me that my cords were functioning fine (no polyps, nodules or scarring), but he could see redness towards the back walls of my throat indicating inflammation from acid reflux. He also suspected that it was inflammation that left my throat in a more vulnerable state and helped to exacerbate the initial laryngitis into a prolonged state...

I am recovered now, although from time to time I still feel a touch of irritation around my larynx and throat that's reminiscent of the pain I had during my illness. I have learned that I have very severe acid reflux. What is frustrating is that I was on strong medication for it (300mg Zantac a day) before I got ill. And it seemed under control at the time. My ENT's response to that was - although I was taking many measures to control my reflux, I may have a weak esophageal sphincter and therefore I would need to take even stronger measures to control it.

I continue to try to make lifestyle/behavioral changes to reverse this issue, so I am not necessarily asking advice about remedies for reflux. (I'm well-read on all he acidic foods to avoid, weight-loss, putting the bed-on-stilts...and other than the weight-loss, I've done it all!:)) My question is: is there anything I can do or take to deal with the inflammation directly? It seems like, even if I have reduced the reflux, it's never reduced enough to allow my throat to recover completely from the irritation. Are there are lozenges or sprays that could help soothe the inflammation while still protecting my throat from dryness?

• Administrator

mtmhs,

Kindly see my recent posts in this category > "Vocal Health and Preservation" It's the one immediately proceeding your post. Granted, your situation is somewhat different, however, it may be of some assistance to you.

Personally, I use Slippery Elm Lozenges which has been used by singers since the 1800's !!! I also use "Wellness Herbal Throat" spray.

I purchase these products from I-Herb-com >>> http://www.I-Herb.com

They have a variety of products well suited to singers and the prices are very reasonable.

Hope this has helped....

Adolph

• 4 months later...

Myself and other singers I know have had significant issues due to reflux. My dr said it was one of worse cases he had seen in a while.

I've found the biggest cause aside from diet, not lying down 2 hours after eating, etc. Was stress. No matter what you eat if you are a busy high stress individual always running from one place to another and internalizing the stress of making sure everything comes together, etc. That will cause severe reflux that even meds can't help much with. So I took a ton of time adjusting my lifestyle, staying away from situations that were causing me uneccessary stress, doing cardio to burn off the stress, as well as meditation and yoga. Takes time but in the long run I feel way better overall rarely have reflux issues and no more vocal issues from it. yea. Stress, the silent killer!

D

Right on, about stress.

In an interview,when he was a mere 94 years old, George Burns was asked why he was living so long (he was over 100 when he passed away from pneumonia caught while in the hospital for another reason) in spite of the fact that he always had a martini in hand and would lightly puff on 8 of those Canary Island cigars a day.

His reply?

"Stress is the killer. If I have a stressful problem, I deal with it right then, say my piece, and then I drop it, never to return. Stress will kill you."

Absolutely true - thanks for the post and (on behalf of your vocal cords), thanks for your diligence!

of course, George Burns reference reminds me of that great line from jazz pianist Eubie Blake, who lived to 96 and famously said "If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself."

Try to figure out how is it the back of throat becomes inflammed from acid reflux. For example, there's a fairly expensive set of meters they can put down your esophagus that measures when the acid mostly occurs. If this can be determined, then take antiacids during this time. You may not need this test though--one can figure this out independently. Another example, see if straightening your posture helps. This places the lower sphincter further away from your stomach and creates a higher throat control to deter upflow of acid. Straightening posture is challenging-- this means, straightening your sitting, standing, walking-- it's a full time awareness and requires special furniture. A third example, take a walk after meals and eat low fat foods. These help the food move faster through the digestive tract. As for weight loss, this frequently has to do with compulsion (to eat) and getting the maximum flavoring out of food while filling your stomach with low calories, so, try tackling the compulsion (again, this is challenging) and increasing flavor-bulk. There are still lots of activities you can do--and it all begins with accurately assessing how the acid reflux hits the back of your throat.

Dear mthms1111,

This is a very difficult issue for all of us trying to sing and give our best with our gifts.

I have a couple of suggestions that come from experience with these issues as well as my own study and expertise.

1. Go to my blog at http://superiorvocalhealth.blogspot.com/

Here you will find a post on acid reflux written by guest blogger and expert on this subject Kathryn Pirtle. She has written an entire book on this subject that is dedicated to acid reflux and the professional musician.

2. Regarding your desire to know about any lozenges or sprays, the very best products you can find for your throat would be at Superiorvocalhealth.com. Here we have two products that will be outstanding for your current issues.

All products are all natural and certified organic:

Vocal Rescue- Vocal Rescue is a gargle designed to help over used and tired voices. It reduces inflammation and brings blood flow back to the vocal cords and throat. It has helped many a vocalist who are constantly working and have to go on.

Throat Saver- Throat Saver Spray is built to help remove excess mucus and debris from the throat and cords as well as keep the voice moist naturally.

All of these products have been reviewed on The Modern Vocalist Product review section. Click here to read the review http://themodernvocalistjournal.com/gearreviews/voice-care-with-an-herbal-twist-superior-vocal-health-review

I hope this helps you somewhat with your difficulties. I would not have mentioned these products had you not asked for some referral of products in your post.

If I can ever be of any help or assistance, please feel free to email me at

Superiorvocalhealth@gmail.com

David

• 2 weeks later...

I recently have been told by my ENT that i am suffering the same thing.

"He told me that my cords were functioning fine (no polyps, nodules or scarring), but he could see redness towards the back walls of my throat indicating inflammation from acid reflux. He also suspected that it was inflammation that left my throat in a more vulnerable state and helped to exacerbate the initial laryngitis into a prolonged state..."

I am now on Pantoprazole 40 mg for my acid reflux problem. What can be done to clear up my voice now? For instance,,earlier in the day i could sing within my range with just slight raspiness. (my voice is similar to that of John Lennon's and among other songs ,i was singing "you are here"

with guitar) At the end of the day my voice is shot and breaking up, while trying to sing the same song..and it isnt like i have been over working my voice by singing or talking. Is the Slippery Elm Lozenges, suggested by Adolph, a good temporary 'cure'? I have a gig coming up in August where i will be doing much lead vocals.

• Administrator

Artifex,

Yes, Slippery Elm Lozenges work very well for me, BUT, "Temporary" is the key word....

Due to my particular situation - complications caused by numerous spinal surgeries as I mention in my profile due to extensive scar tissue, dictates that I use a variety of herbals, gargles, etc., that assist me.

I would like to also suggest that you check out the TMV's PARTNERS sites >>

Scott Rabb >> http://www.justgottasing.com/

David Aaron Katz >> http://www.superiorvocalhealth.com/

You can also find these links on the Main Site under the "Companies for Singers Tab"

David also has some excellent Articles posted in the "Main Site". Be sure to check them out !!!

Additionally, there are many posts submitted in this section of the Forum that relate to acid reflux.

Granted, it may take some time to review them, BUT, it is well worth the time !!! :cool:

I noticed you just joined and as such, I'd also like to extend a Very Warm Welcome to TMV !!!

Respectfully,

Adolph

ADOLPH!! Thank you so much for the welcome. I will look into those links. I love to sing and for my voice to constantly crack these days is saddening. Especially since i have semi gotten back into the music field.

• Administrator

ARTIFEX,

MY Pleasure !!!

I hear you.... With my cervical spinal issues, I too have been having my "ups and downs". Yes, very frustrating ! I'm STILL awaiting botox injections for these "issues" (spasms in the cervical spine), which is my LAST option unfortunately. I also discussed my vocal issues with the doctor, and he's also considering the injections to help me with my vocals. While I'm a bit leary of this, I simply CANNOT imagine losing my voice....:o

On yet another note, I'm sure you'll find our many, many dedicated members and Experts are here to assist you.

I'm looking forward to seeing you sign up on the Main Site and add your "tunes" and/or videos !!!

Please be sure to sign up for the TMV Journal as well >> http://themodernvocalistjournal.com/

Wishing you the Very Best in all your endeavors !!!

Respectfully,

Adolph

recovery from reflux irritation takes weeks/months, so you havta be patient as well as diligent (zero coffee, zero alcohol...) over time. As much as ppssible right now I'd do your gig prep mentally, rather than trying to test your voice or get used to compromising your technque in order to sound acceptable. Tolerate the crackiness, practice mentally, work on arrangements & promo chores, & keep the rest of body loose/strong/energized. in 4 weeks, things will start to feel quite different.

Also talk to your MD and pharmacist about adding "Gaviscon" dosage at night for extr protection. It's an over the counter, old-fashioned antacid, getting research interest again. Has a seaweed derivative that covers the stomach like a blanket or mechanical barrier, interacts safely with the stronger meds that keep body from making so much acid.

best wishes for speedy bounce-back!:)

Joanna Great advice,,thank you so much. This morning i will be going to a GNC to pick up the 'Slippery Elm Lozenges' that Adolph had suggested as a temp fix. So ,i should give up coffee too?? Ill switch to green tea then ..for the time being that is. (i love my coffee) Im so glad to 'meet' you all here.

my pleasure, friends.

I am just finishing new edition of my book on voice care including many of the topics discussed on this forum!

Look for bigger announcement in 2-3 weeks when copies become available (it will be in all e-formats, PDF, everything.)

• 1 month later...

I would say be sure and get tons of exercise...

I have had this same condition you speak of (perfect vocal folds, but irritated everything else) for all my life due to acid reflux. I've noticed every single time that I slack on the exercise I'm 300 percent more likely to have an incident. I'm on Dexilant one time a day and that seems to help a lot, but honestly as far as being effective I'd trade the ppi for 30-40 minutes of cardio and some light weight lifting a day. That's just me though.

Also I've noticed the throat coat tea helps me retain my head voice despite having occasional flare ups.

fellow singers,

don't procrastinate on treating your reflux issues. reflux can be painless and without symptoms and can increase the likelihood of developing vocal polyps (which i am now having to deal with).

drink water, watch what you eat, eat sensibly, take your meds.

bob

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

I didn't think that I would ever get involved in any of the medical issues posted on the site and to be honest they seem to be the only thing talked about at the moment on the daily email digest (getting a bit out of hand if you ask me). But anyway here's my six-penneth with regard to the demon ACID-REFLUX. I have suffered with this condition for the past 12 years popping up to a dozen anti-acid tablets to get me through the day and night. I've tried changing my diet to no big improvement in my condition but recently I stopped drinking Tea (being English I have always had an unhealthy consumption) and Hey Presto overnight NO MORE ACID REFLUX I feel great and no more pills to buy. I really hope that this helps somebody out there and at last we can get back to talking about music!

Mart

• 7 months later...