Dust in the Wind - really unplugged

My previous submissions involved recording the guitar track and then creating a second track with vocals. This one is just me and the guitar at the same time. It helps me relax, since I have done this song since I first heard it in 1977. Which brings me to the history. I was living in Lewisville, Texas in govt. subsidized apartments (I have always been from the po' side of town.) This song came on the radio and blew my mind. Kansas and the Who were my favorite bands from then through high school. Anyway, for a few years, I figured out how to play this song, thinking it was just Rich Williams on one guitar. And what you hear is what I figured out. Then I saw Kansas in 1982 at Reunion Arena (now demolished) in Dallas, Texas. And they play it on two guitars, Rich Williams and Kerry Livegren. And by then, they had singer John Elefante.

Anyway, this is my night to relax and sing as I normally do and not try to sound like anyone.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8750209/Dust%20in%20the%20Wind.mp3

it sounds as though your having a hard time holding some of the notes. but listening to the whole performance that's the only thing i could find hindering it really as you didn't seem to have a problem getting to the notes themselves. That's just what i could pick out, i'm not really the most well informed of people regarding vocal training, but i really dig the voice. haha! listening to the 'immigrant song' was a blast, you have the perfect voice for it.

nice guitar playing! sounds like a tricky task doing them simultaneously.

Here you were NOT ending the words as harshly as in Immigrant song. Understandably since this is a softer song. I still think you go slightly overboard with in on Immigrant song and some of the rock songs. Your pitch is, for the most part, very good. Good job on that one, Ron. If you do a bit less sliding up to notes, it would improve even further. Of course, sometimes it sounds better to slide up to pitches (and then one has to do it well). I think that you would really gain from learning how to sing in curbing/mixed voice. You most sing in neutral and overdrive and perhaps edge sometimes. Neutral is like a lullaby, overdrive sounds shouty and edge sounds a bit like a very loud witch. Curbing has a restained character and is probably the most perfect vocal mode for the C4-C5 range (the tenor range), regardless of genre. It's all being taught here, like I've said more than once before: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=4A462B097248AA70 :) . It's voice lessons for free, man! Do it! :) From exercise 7 or so and onwards, Seth starts to talk about curbing (he calls it mixed voice or adding cry or something).

• 2 weeks later...

I want to apologize for the late response ron, also for giving you faulty feedback, I'm not very well informed of singing techniques myself so i wouldn't be able to really produce any constructive feedback really.

what jonpall went over sounds sound though.

Thanks, Bigwon, jonpall gives good advice and I have had critiques from him before. His critiques for me are not about the song in the thread but singing in general. That is, I may not have exceuted a mistake on this one but did something different than he would do on a song a week or a month ago and he will discuss that here. One time, he gave me a critique in a thread where he liked the song I did and my performance of it and specifically stated that he wasn't referring to the song in that thread.

It's just, every once in a while, he has to tell me that I sing too clean, need to sound meaner, need to follow the path of Seth Riggs. I've learned to be polite and let it pass.

In fact, this is a good sign. In a few threads where I really did stink, nada. Only in the threads where I have done something good does he need to "give me a reality check." For example, he had criticisms of the "Immigrant Song" and they wind up here, and it's really a stylistic thing. As for sliding pitches, it may have been something I've done now and then but not specifically here. But I have to hear about it, here, rather than where it was a problem.

I let that pass, too.

Archived