American Idol 2011

Rate this topic

jonpall

Here's an idea. Let this be the place to discuss American Idol 2011, ok? I haven't followed this show that much, although I've heard a bunch of singers from it. But this season I'm watching it and it's because of Steven Tyler. I think this season might have an usual amount of talent - f.ex. this guy, Casey Abrams, who is currently the one I'm picking to go all the way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyPHi4DY4fk

I personally both like and dislike this show, for various reasons :) . To put it very quickly - how many superstars and legends in music can actually sing that well? Mick Jagger, anyone? He wouldn't last a day in that show. I think the judges are putting too much value in the technical side of singing and secondly the image thing. And then it's the poor kids who think that if they get cut out of the show, their careers are over. At the age of 15. Give me a break. And no one says anything about that voices can be improved. On the positive side, we get to see a lot of amazing vocal performances, Steven being Steven, some funny stuff here and there, so there's a slim chance I'll last throughout the season this time.

Guys, what are you thoughts on this season of AI?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't watched all of the shows, but the first time I saw Casey, I was blown away. He looks and sounds like a flashing neon sign amongst a sea of budding talent. I think he is going to just keep coming out with original performances. An endless and open channel of expression. Should be fun to watch.

And I love his bluesy raw style. A favorite of mine.

Guys, what are you thoughts on this season of AI

Level of tech abilities isnt so high. Casey is pretty good. Notice how great mix he has got, this is why we should sing in mix voice well.

There was a black teacher of music art in audition - hes good too.

Here's an idea. Let this be the place to discuss American Idol 2011, ok? I haven't followed this show that much, although I've heard a bunch of singers from it. But this season I'm watching it and it's because of Steven Tyler. I think this season might have an usual amount of talent - f.ex. this guy, Casey Abrams, who is currently the one I'm picking to go all the way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyPHi4DY4fk

I personally both like and dislike this show, for various reasons :) . To put it very quickly - how many superstars and legends in music can actually sing that well? Mick Jagger, anyone? He wouldn't last a day in that show. I think the judges are putting too much value in the technical side of singing and secondly the image thing. And then it's the poor kids who think that if they get cut out of the show, their careers are over. At the age of 15. Give me a break. And no one says anything about that voices can be improved. On the positive side, we get to see a lot of amazing vocal performances, Steven being Steven, some funny stuff here and there, so there's a slim chance I'll last throughout the season this time.

Guys, what are you thoughts on this season of AI?

Damn...I could've written this post :)

The fake Seth Rogen kid(Casey) is ridiculous and no doubt my favorite. I really have a hard time wrapping my head around how talented some people are. There's a joy of effortlessness(not to be confused with a complete lack of physical effort) that flows through these performers. I'm fortunate enough to work/have worked with people like this, and it always leaves me in awe.

I've been missing the episodes but not by intention. I forget to turn the tv on. I'm glad to see Steven on there, as I was glad to see Brett Michaels a few seasons back. I think input from actual working rock and pop stars is just as important as anything Cowell had to say because each judge is influenced by their background. That's why Steven sang a few notes with the guy. From one soulful blues guy to another, as it were. Cowell came from the background of polished and packaged pop and theater music. And has been shown, the voting public doesn't always vote the way a talent producer such as Cowell would expect. Such as the season with Adam Lambert. He was the most accomplished and amazing singer. A favorite of all the judges, including Cowell. And the other guy won (I can't even remember his name.) Even that other guy thought Adam should have won. The winner'sjaw dropped and gave Adam a WTF look? Cowell has left the show. Adam, as always, handled it with grace and dignity and has pursued his own jazz interests.

But it can't be all gimicks and look at me's, though those are important. Steven still dresses like a rock star. It's the uniform. But, there is heart behind the uniform. I am reminded of a statement by Vincent Furnier who has produced other bands and would get one coming to him that had the look, the image, the "attitude." He said, "I get it - your young and angry, you've got the art work, blah, blah, blah. What about the song? Where is the song?"

And that's why Mick Jagger is a multi-millionaire, even though he doesn't have the most polished or classical sounding voice. Because he sang songs.

But it is okay to be influenced by others and use some of the references of the past. Again, Vincent Furnier was discussing the music of Marilyn Manson. "A guy using a woman's name and doing theatrical shock rock ... why is that familiar to me? Hmm ..."

I like watching some of the seasons, too. And I like when even the "losers" go on to achieve success. The notoriety of the show is so much free press. It's a badge of honor even if you even made it to the judge's audition, let alone a few weeks into the show.

I do feel it is a bit of a pressure cooker. Steven Tyler and Aerosmith spent forever playing dives and clubs along the Northeast seaboard. And worked their way up and got heard by more and more people. Along the way, they refined their chops, how to tour, eventually how to take care of themselves for endurance. As opposed to the AI contestants who are thrust from the Burger King french fry line to a world wide stage, almost overnight, with the expectation of putting on a VMA worthy show. That's a whole lot of pressure that Steven gradually grew into, rather than being dumped in it, sink or swim. Not to mention the pressure of each and every week might be their last. And everything can hinge on one song, as opposed to a whole set from band. They might screw up one song and still finish the night with a great performance.

I don't know if I could do it. I have performed in front of anywhere from 2 to 50 people at a time, from parties to clubs, either as a karaoke event or playing warm-up for another band. But if I had several years to work out a stage show and throw away what doesn't work and go to the next club where they haven't heard me yet, then being in front of a few thousand in the venue and broadcast across the world might be a logical succession. Some have likened AI to being a karaoke event but I think it is more daunting than that. At a karaoke event, people, if they are even paying attention to you are in various states of inebriation. AI, most everyone, except for rumors of Paula Abdul, are relatively sober and totally and completely focused on you.

I don't usually watch American Idol unless there's someone I really like. I watched it last season up until Siobhan was eliminated, then I completely lost interest. I was watching the auditions the other day and I saw Casey and was blown away!!! If he doesn't win the competition, I'll know people are just crazy hahahaha :D But that's what I thought about Siobhan anyways... Anyways, I know I won't watch it, because I usually forget about it hahahah I'm not really a TV person, but I'll probably look up the videos on Youtube...

Casey Abrams blew me away the other night. As far as talent goes he is in a class by himself this season. I don't have a winner picked yet, but the guy with tourette syndrome has one of the best stories plus pretty good tecnhique. It seems with Idol, the story is an important factor. I haven't seen enough to pick a winner yet. There are a couple of great chicks this season. I really like Steven Tyler on the show.

• Administrator

I dont watch the show. I think I have watched about 15 minutes of it in total since it started. I cant put my finger on it... you would think I would watch it... but I dont like to. I dont like the judges and the "judging" for one thing. It makes me hurl to think that just because someone is a celebrity, that they are qualified to judge on singing technique? I dont know, maybe...

I suppose its just because I do it for a living, everyday and it just isnt interesting to me. I want to judge my students and myself and worry about my own progress as a singer and coach and the studio... I dont have time to worry about someone who wants instant fame and to short-cut the commitment of making singing a life style. Maybe thats it, Im not into this just for the "fame" or what ever that is suppose to be for some people.

The pursuit of THIS kind of fame seems trite to me... Add the "I want it all and I want it now" attitude of the contestants and the questionable qualifications of the judges who some, dont actually sing themselves (steven tyler is cool...), just makes me feel very uninterested. I think Im an AI snob... ? I should try to watch it and see how it goes, but it might be difficult for me to keep my attention.

On the other hand, to be a coach on the show would be fun...

I watch it just to see the singers and what they sing, because as a singer, watching and listening to any singing is a must. I really despise the drama though that takes like 3/4 of the show's airtime. Also I would have thought that someone like Steven Tyler would tell someone to work on their vocals rather than telling them that they can't sing, won't ever sing, and should "stick to what they're good at." (Which is not singing). Perhaps that's just a thing the producers want him to say, but it's that kind of thinking that really turns a lot of potential awesome voices from ever developing.

american idol is "brilliant" (not intending to be complimentary, just using the adjective here) in this way:

1. put singers on national tv to be voted on, both for their sex appeal and talent.

2, the "judges" play the same role as the the "bad guys" did in pro wrestling, stir up the crowd, keep up the ratings.

3. key component: let the public vote (hopefully unbiased) for whom they think is the best...not who actually is the best.

4. here's the brilliant part: the show is basically a test market for the recording company. in most cases, it almost guarantees them a record selling act seriously reducing their risk of "new product" failure.

to me it's one big test marketing sceme. but if you notice the show marketing strategy is faltering, because the audience's top picks have bombed and they're going back to promoting some of the runner ups.

there's a new show coming out called "the voice" where they search for the best singer in the world. the only thing is the singer is not physically revealed at first...meaning they have no other criteria to judge other than their voice. andree kaminski had told me about the auditions in ny since there wasn't any age limit...but c'mon already.....the best singer in the world? i had (big mistake)auditioned for "america's got talent" last year.......i've never seen one room with so many michael jackson impersonators!!!!!

The negative aspects of this show greatly outweigh the positives, but it's singing, therefore I'm drawn to it.

I've never approved of the "overnight success" aspect of it all. It's simply too much too soon for these kids. I hate to sound hokey, but success should be just as much about the journey as the destination. It's where you develop your sense of self and hopefully a sense of appreciation for the kind of life success provides. It simply irks me to see people possessing a sense of entitlement without really paying their dues.

However, when I look at how the music business has changed over the decades, I don't envy any youngsters looking to make a name for themselves in the mainstream pop scene. Gone are the days when a label took a band/artist under their wing, nurtured them, and gave them 3-4 albums to prove themselves.

These days, artists can expect to be canned if their first major release isn't a big seller.

Excellent post, Robert.

One of the most telling things about the show was to find out that before a contestant actually gets to the televised "judges" audition, they've actually been through at least two auditions before from the supporting staff of the show. Especially during the days of Simon, it meant that some were passed through to the judges, not because they were ready or could sing, but because they would handy targets for Simon's acerbic wit, which drove up ratings. "Reality" tv isn't very real. And I agree, the climate of the show is, at times, counterproductive to the developement of talent. As if they expected one to be already "mega-star" ready. Well, if that person was mega-star ready, they wouldn't need that show.

Level of tech abilities isnt so high.

Dude, that's totally incorrect, lol. But maybe you were including everyone in the first few episodes, which had lots of incredibly bad singers as well.

Here are probably the best singers so far (a very talented bunch in terms of technical singing):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OViLCP4ioxI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwHxafWa8BE

...but this Casey kid (at the very end of the second clip) is just eating the other ones alive. Holy shit. Here's his audition: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGmdQfLyfdE

Either highly trained by great vocal coaches or, what's more likely, highly "trained" by themselves as kids by singing all day long in a playful manner until they stumble onto sounds they like and having a good ear and love for music ... aka. a "natural singer", aka. someone "born with it" :)

How's this for a sad case of irony? Casey Abrams first auditioned with "I Don't Need No Doctor", but he was rushed to the hospital last night with severe stomach pains. If he's not out of the hospital by tomorrow to tape the top 24 episode, he will likely have to bow out of the competition.

Terrible.

How's this for a sad case of irony? Casey Abrams first auditioned with "I Don't Need No Doctor", but he was rushed to the hospital last night with severe stomach pains. If he's not out of the hospital by tomorrow to tape the top 24 episode, he will likely have to bow out of the competition.

Terrible.

That's so bad!!! I was blown away with his performances, and he was my favorite from the start... I really hope he's OK... I hope they can make some sort of exception? I don't know if they will...

Sounds like he'll be back from the latest news on the web. But even if he was out, it's wouldn't be the end of the world because he's already brought some attention to him and I'm sure he'll land a record deal no matter where he places in the competition. What could work against him is that he isn't really a modern R&B singer and it seems like A.I. is mostly looking for singers in that genre of music. F.ex. Adam Lambert sang lots of rock songs in the show and then when it was over he produced an R&B record with overproduced, autotuned-to-death vocals, which didn't do his voice justice, IMO.

To some extent, it would seem there's a general field of popmusic the people will go to after their competition. I've been waiting for someone who goes on to do really hard rock. Daughtry has done some. One of the hardest rockers was the first winner, Kelly Clarkson (from Burleson, Texas!) with "I get what I want." I thought Adam Lambert would have been great with Velvet Revolver but even Slash, who started Velvet Revolver, isn't interested in keeping that band going. But it does seem like a number of them go on to R & B type of music.

I remember the special AI series for the band INXS. Now that was cool. And the winner is still singing for them. He fully is a member of that band. Maybe it's the form of the music. I think Foreigner is hard rock, even though there's an R & B vibe to Gramm's voice. I just don't see that much hard rock in the show unless they have a specific plan for that. Like they did when they had Slash on there with Adam Lambert singing "Whole Lotta Love."

What I am trying to say is that I would like to see a specific goal or purpose for the people. Rather than just being famous for singing some cover songs. I want to see the show create a new Steven Tyler, for example.

I watched some of the outtakes showing the competitor with the AI assigned vocal coaches and the hollering and belittling coming from at least one of the coaches. That drama is not necessary and a true coach is not there to make you feel like a worm. Why do they think every "reality" show needs a hollering match ala "American Choppers"? It reminds me of some of the unnecessary drama from "Rock and Roll Fantasy Camp." So, I'm losing respect for the show if they think that is what vocal developement is about. And for performance coaching, there is at least one better person who does not chide or scold a client one time but brings out the real you.

Then again, someone like Steven Tyler would not have been caught dead in a "talent show." He and the guys just hit the road and never stopped.

I watched some of the outtakes showing the competitor with the AI assigned vocal coaches and the hollering and belittling coming from at least one of the coaches.

Are you referring to the black lady who was screaming "SING DAMN IT!!!" to the two young girls this week in the Hollywood round?

Yes, that was completely uncalled for and asinine. Those girls are human beings before they're singers, and that was simply no way to treat them. They're not in the army, and there was no reason for her to morph into drill instructor mode.

Not to mention, how many people are going to respond positively to someone yelling at them? It will make the average person either angry, nervous, or tense, which really isn't helpful for relaxation.