How do you learn your favorite music?

Rate this topic

forgivendays

I didn't know where to put this. This is more of a learning songs question.

So this might seem stupid but I don't like to overplay my favorite music. I don't mind repeating a song I like a hundred times while learning it. But there are some songs that I have a very special "connection" with that I'm afraid to ruin. Does anybody feel that way towards some music? I'm thinking of just getting the chords of the internet instead of ear learning them and try to sing the songs like I remember them without listening once. I think this might help develop a unique style. What do you think?

I do that all the time. On the board there's always someone posting some great songs. I listen to the song maybe 2 or 3 times ad then just pick the chords and sing what i remember of it. It's my way to not be too affected by the singer's voice. And it sure devellop your style ;-)

In 1988, I had heard "Sweet Child of Mine" exactly twice on the radio. Later, out of earshot, I picked it out in the key of C and wasn't too far off. It was actually in the key of Db.

That is how I learned "Land Down Under." I picked out the chords. And remembered the song and just sang it that way, not even referring to the studio recording that much.

Same with "Brandy." My arrangement is much simpler but it lets me sing it the way I want to sing it. Which others may or may not like. To me, there is a line between how we sing as we want to sing and how others expect to hear the song. Too many want you to sound like the original singer. What's the use of that? Why not just go and listen to the original singer? Instead, rejoice in each person's take on something. Such as M V Raselli doing his own version of "Wish you were here" with an Emerson, Lake, and Palmer tinge to it (something he naturally excels at)?

Another one of my favorite covers doesn't even sound like the original. There is a bluegrass band called Hayseed Dixie that did their own country - bluegrass version of "Highway to Hell." Totally unique and valid.

I try to create my own version of all covers I'm working through. I use a new setlist of my favourite 5-6 songs every week. They are usually picked just out of taste so they are greatly affected by my moods throughout the previous week. Some weeks my ears just want to listen to a particular kind of music. Usually I don't have time to learn all the songs though since I rotate the songs so fast. But I don't mind. It keeps practice fresh every day. I'm getting better and better and spotting tones/chords/lyrics.

I have that "connection" you are speaking of for Led Zeppelin. It was the band that made me really listen to music. Throughout my childhood years I learned almost 90% of their catalogue by heart and could play all the solos on guitar (I later grew out of it and found out it was not right for me but that is another story) so now I have a little "fear" of listening to any of their records cause I have so much of myself invested. I've found it to be a state of mind because as soon as I relax and let that feeling go and spin a good old record (Houses of the Holy for example) I can enjoy it just as much as I used to. Can't stand stairway to heaven though :)

Cheers

Fred

for me, when i first started singing, i had a desire to sound exactly like the original artist male or female particularly their tone and inflections.

i remember trying to mimick guys like lloyd price, gary puckett, dion, and women like aretha franklin, and even reba macintyre...lol!!!

i recall way back when i first heared guys like elvis presley sing in his corny movies, i fantasized that if i could sing like elvis, i'd be considered sexy and attractive to girls, even though elvis had me (and pretty much every other male) beat in the looks department...lol!!!

i made the connotation that if you sounded like them, you'd have to be a good singer. sounding orginal and like myself never entered the picture (or my libido...lol!!!)

i would play led zeppelin songs over and over till i had the slightest nuances of the voice down pat (at least in my mind anyway...lol)

then one day i heard "hot blooded" on the radio and i remember saying that guy's got a sexy, powerful voice and went to emulate him...but for some reason lou gramm was my ultimate challenge....i could emulate him but miss the notes or struggle to get anywhere close to that note intensity and punchy power......that's what led me to seek out vocal study...i used to get so frustrated.....i'd think...how the hell could i manage to sing led zeppelin and queen stuff in bands but not foriegner!!! i'd lower the key for foreigner stuff, still a bitch....why!

low and behold..... here i am.... an over-posting singer on a vocal forum i enjoy almost as much as sex!!!!.....lol......!!!!!

i had fun writing this...lol!!

One of my early memories was hearing Glen Campbell's "Wichita Lineman" on the radio, as a new single out by the singer. Maybe that's who I sound like. So, I was used to hearing, maybe not an operatic sounding singer, but at the least, singing that would do well in theater.

I can't remember not being fascinated by music. But I was not in any kind of structured application of it until I was 10. My grandparents had an old classical guitar laying around and it only had 3 strings left on it. A few moments of plucking around and I was picking the arpeggiated guitar part to "Who'll Stop the Rain?" by Creedence Clearwater Revival.

We moved to Texas a few weeks after that. My mother gave me a student guitar she had. A set of strings and Mel Bay's book of chords. And she couldn't really afford that but it was my only chance. None of us could afford lessons. Some people don't know what it means to grow up so poor that if Cadillacs were only a dollar, all you could was walk up and down the street saying "What a deal!" And I'm glad some people don't know what that's like. So, I taught myself how to play. The library was my source of books. Learned how to read music and music theory.

Sang along with my playing but I didn't get serious with my voice until hearing "Sweet Child of Mine." Again, books from the library. Again, so broke that I could just manage bills to keep a roof over the head. And that, pretty much, hasn't changed, especially thanks to the economy of that last few years. And it's not getting better because our president won't allow us to produce our own cheap energy.

Once I could get to the upper part of my range with volume and consistency, I expanded what I could do. I played almost the entire Led Zep catalog, including some parts of "Houses of the Holy" and "Physical Graffiti." For me, it seemed comfortable to do Led Zep stuff. Maybe that's because Plant doesn't sing all high stuff all the time. His vocal lines are varied and interesting, a part of the music, expressing mood and intent of the moment. Indeed, he is then a jazz singer.

I was singing all parts of the entire show "Jesus Christ, Superstar." From Ted Neely to Carl (Johnson ?) to Yvonne DeCarlos.

So, my approach to a song is first, how do I play it on one guitar. Second, how do I sing it so that I can play guitar and sing it at the same time?