My cover of The beatles "Yesterday"

• TMV World Legacy Member

I don't get it. What's wrong with your performance. I really don't give a flying flippity doo dah whether you sound like Paul, or not. You sounded like Chavie, hitting every note rock solid. Maybe I need to head south down there and kick butt on whomever said it was weak. And yeah, I got the skills to do that. I think you did fine. Give yourself a break. Remember when singing was fun? Get back to that.

lol Thanks man,nah its nothing like that i just wish i had a more powerful voice (im a bigger guy lol)

i have "Singing for dummies", "Singing success", "mastering mix", Jaime Vendera's "ultimate breathing workout"

and a few others programs.

i do all the exercises daily i'm developing at a great rate(only been singing a year)

But whenever i try to do harder rock stuff (for example a lot of the tunes you do)

i come off as Justin Timberlake instead of Ronnie james dio lol

my voice is just so tiny....its frustrating:(

www.soundclick.com/chavie

Hey Chavie, I had a flash of insight yesterday, coming home after a really long day. Listening to the radio, I realized who sound like to a fairly large extent. I sound like Mike Reno. You get a point if you can tell me who he sang with without using google or wikipedia. Oh heck, use them anyway, so that you can see what success comes for people who have light singing tone.

Granted some people can achieve huge distortion, some not so much. It all depends on the voice you are born with. Some of the bigger names in singing also see that from their experience. Different people simply have different tonalities and fold flexibility they can achieve, different neurology and that's just the way it is. I think I'll say it again, because it sounds so good in my voice and accent. Two people can do the same exercise the same way at the same time on the same pitch and they will not sound the same. Period, paragraph, new book, forever, amen.

Voices are not plug and play. If we both have Flying V guitars and the same brand and guage of strings, we can put humbucker pick-ups in yours and then our guitars will sound the same. Not so with voices.

Your voice is fine and I think it's okay for you to sing whatever song you want, even if the original sounded "harder." What about Sweet from Stryper. Is he weak? Or Don Dokken? You and he have similar voice types. Then, there's the master of clean, Geoff Tate. Don't get me wrong, learn all that you can. But also learn to accept the gift that God has given you, which is your own unique sound and whatever techniques you learn should be to support your uniqe sound.

I liked it, you moved thru the 1st passaggio with ease. The F4 sounded light and released. This is a great song for practicing a light registration in that trouble spot as you get whiplashed in and out.

You said you wanted more meat to your voice… for other type songs. I think you have the light registration approach well in hand. As Martin would say, you have to practice what you don’t do to get good at it. Probably if you would spend more time training in chest voice or overdrive and expand those notes it would give you that thicker registration feel. Personally I like doing the crescendo part of the Messa di Voce exercise to work on transitioning a light registration into a thicker one. Steven could probably give you some good exercises for thickening up your registration.

Anyway good job, you have a great voice!

I know what its like to not be totally stoked on your own voice, i'm sure a lot of singers can agree to that ! I thought you sounded really great though singing yesterday. and you've only been singing for a year ? Man I should check out those programs and excersises you do.. keep it up !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

And I will re-iterate. Chavie, you are a lyrical tenor. Live with it. Love it. Live it. And I will keep repeating it until it sinks into your head. Chances are, I am older than you and have a lot more experience at being stubborn than you ever thought about. You are a tenor with a great voice. Too bad for you, eh?

Thanks a lot guys!!!

I've been really busy this last month, and

my vocals have been neglected, took a huge step backwards :(

www.soundclick.com/chavie

Maybe, maybe not. Believe it not, sometimes a break from it all will allow a fresh perspective whereas "pushing through it" can sometimes result in reinforced bad habits.

Archived