Live Like You Were Dying

• TMV World Legacy Member

I do listen to some country music, now and then. You can't live in Texas and not listen to and like some country music.

This one is one of my favorites. Tim McGraw knocked it out of the park with this one.

I've had a number of people pass on before me, though it was usually suddenly. But loss is loss.

My mother, Cookie.

My first wife, Deidre (pronounced deer-dra).

Lamar, friend.

Tony, friend.

Ken, my father.

Lee, friend.

The brother of my old friend, Ken, died at Khe Sang, many years ago.

This is for you guys.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8750209/Live%20like%20you%20were%20dying.mp3

Thank you. What helps is that I really believe in this song and I sing it like I mean it. Which is something we should do with any song we record. If you can't feel the song, don't do it.

Plus, this song is in my natural accent. One of them country boy things, I guess. Secret, not so secret anymore, I wore one of my cowboy hats to record this. The white one (I have two.)

And here's the original:

This song would always give me chills.

I've only heard this song a handful of times, but this was nicely done. The one thing that stood out instantly to me was the distinctness of your tone, which is a major accomplishment in itself.

As for believing in the song, I agree 100%. If I can't emotionally connect with a song or recall events in my life that I can relate to the song, my delivery seems to be uninspired. There are times when just the melody of a song alone can inspire me without a connection to the lyrics, but it's rare.

I've never been skydiving, but I've zoomed in on Google Earth really, really fast.

Thanks, Validar. I sang it like a country boy. Even though I was born in California, we moved to Texas in 1974 and I have picked up the accent, somewhat, in that time.

Archived