High larynx with long notes

Rate this topic

forgivendays

http://www.box.net/shared/gi0ixyhet8

Hi, so there's this song part where I have to sustain a G5 for like 7 seconds. It's not supposed to be done powerfully. I'm not sure what I'm doing is called but the sound comes from a very narrow place. It's not very loud and it's not airy. It's different from MLN. This can be sustained much longer. The highest I've taken this is B5 but that was one time only. Is this flageolet? Whistle voice? Anyways the larynx has to rise on this and sustaining a G5 for 7 seconds really tires it out. My voice comes back to normal in like 15-20 seconds but of course I can't pause in the middle of a song.

Can you train your larynx to be stronger? I'd like to use this sound because I can sustain it for long periods of time without tiring.

Oh also do you think that this what singers like Jeff Buckley used for their long high notes and used mic technique to make it seem louder? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_-5OsViT4A (5:53)

Morid - it doesn't sound like whistle to me - it sounds like a quiet neutral. Yes you can train your voice to be much stronger up there. I believe what you are hearing guys like Jeff Buckly doing up there is glotal compression - I think that that is increasing the ratio of the closed to open phase.

http://www.box.net/shared/gi0ixyhet8

Hi, so there's this song part where I have to sustain a G5 for like 7 seconds. It's not supposed to be done powerfully. I'm not sure what I'm doing is called but the sound comes from a very narrow place. It's not very loud and it's not airy. It's different from MLN. This can be sustained much longer. The highest I've taken this is B5 but that was one time only. Is this flageolet? Whistle voice? Anyways the larynx has to rise on this and sustaining a G5 for 7 seconds really tires it out. My voice comes back to normal in like 15-20 seconds but of course I can't pause in the middle of a song.

Can you train your larynx to be stronger? I'd like to use this sound because I can sustain it for long periods of time without tiring.

Oh also do you think that this what singers like Jeff Buckley used for their long high notes and used mic technique to make it seem louder? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_-5OsViT4A (5:53)

Morid: Yes, but to be able to sustain it you have to support is just the right amoun, and sing exactly the right vowel the first few times. While additional strength is possible, better coordination is the name of the game.

Thanks for the replies

guitartrek, I can sing powerfully up to around F#5 but I can't sustain it for as long as this quiet neutral.

Steven, I can sustain it for a long time it's just that I think the larynx HAS to be very high for this coordination which is very tedious.

Morid, you have the CVT book so that you should know that the larynx HAS to be fairly high for a G5 or an F#5 :) It's also mentioned in other instructionals. And Robert Lunte has talked a lot about this in older posts on this forum. If you want to sing those extreme high notes louder and/or more powerful, it WILL take more support effort and is therefore harder to sustain longer.

Yeah I understand. I feel like I'm doing everything correctly. I'm just wondering if overtime my larynx will become stronger and not feel tired after a long high note. Again this feeling lasts for like 20 seconds and then I'm back to normal. It's not in my throat, just the larynx muscles.

How can you tell that it's just the laryngeal muscles, as they are also in the throat? Anyway, some things that involve muscle training do produce fatigue until the muscle rebuild denser to accomodate the workload. This is the principle of body building. the muscles are stressed and tear down. They rebuild as denser muscle to handle the increased work load. Basically, you are training muscles for what you want to do.