is there supposed to be a "holding your breath" type of sensation

Rate this topic

rich2k4

when doing high notes, passed the passagio, is there supposed to be a "hold your breath" type of sensation? Almost like you can feel your vocal cords coming together? That's what i feel at least. If i don't get that sensation, then i can't get those notes out. so i assume it's something that has to happen?

when doing high notes, passed the passagio, is there supposed to be a "hold your breath" type of sensation? Almost like you can feel your vocal cords coming together? That's what i feel at least. If i don't get that sensation, then i can't get those notes out. so i assume it's something that has to happen?

rich, high notes require very little air, but you might also be feeling a type of support. is it like a suspended feeling?

it;s sort of like when you go "ah" as in "rat" you can feel the vocal cords come together, it sort of forces them together.

I try to get the same sensation and keep it throughout.

i demonstrate it in that podcast mp3 i did, although i don't demo it well lol. I reminds me of what stevie wonder does when he sings high, sounds like he's holding his breath and being choked lol. I guess this is that moan, hold, or curbing that people talk about.

eric explains the sensation well here at 1:18

rich, (good video b.t.w.) the whole thing revolves around keeping an open, unrestricted throat and supporting the tone. this way the folds are free to do the pitch changes it's whole purpose.

i can't stress this enough (in my non-instructor's opinion) the importance of a balance between the air pressure and the vocal folds resistance to that pressure.

to little support, the tone suffers, to much support you either contrict, involve the constrictor muscles (a big no,no), and/or you blow the folds apart.