Food & Drink before a show

Rate this topic

acoustified

Yea I wanted to ask the same question myself. All I know so far is the basic thing which is :Whatever has water in it is good (Fruit,Vegetables,Juices...etc. ) and whatever dries off water is bad (Fried food, Caffeine..etc.) but that's all I really know

some of my recommendations --

(1) Small meal before show, so that fullness doesn't constrain breathing, & minimal energy is needed for digestion

(2) avoid carbonation so one doesnt burp in the middle of the song

(3) Classical lore says not to eat nuts before singing - not because of nutrition content, but because tiny bits can stick around even after brushing-teeth, & get inhaled by mistake, a real annoyance!

(4) small amount alcohol if it helps to relax, but not enough to cause reflux, interrupt mindful-artistry, impair judgment about screaming/strain, OR become a psychological addiction

(5) safest time for big/heavy meal is actually breakfast, for least risk of reflux or other problems at showtime & bedtime.

(6) every Body is different, so what works for you -- honestly -- may fit none of these suggestions!

PS @ recent voice/ENT conference, a young doc reviewed research & folklore about dairy products & "increased mucous" but could find NO EVIDENCE of a physiological connection,. However, there is a strong influence of belief systems. So if you believe dairy products are bad for your voice, they will be...

• 1 year later...

There are some some low fat milk, really don't it too significantly almond be more dependent on wheat or cereals made of whole wheat or oat, and make your row sweets intake less and avoid delicate liquids and never take bath or bathtub after food items and never sleep straight away after food/

• 2 months later...

Hi Acoustified,

Foods with high water content are hydrating so add celery, Bok choy, watermelon and melon of any kind in your food. Fresh squeezed juices and salads are also best to have before performance. Turkey chicken salmon are also effective and carbs the night before a performance gives you energy.

I, too,would avoid too much alcohol-based drinks before a performance. If you really want something, drink a low volume beer. The dehydration from alcohol is systemic and will take a while to affect you. Way before the systemic hydration, the relaxation effect of alcohol will detune you and take away your fine coordination.

I know whereof I speak. I have sang, cold sober (strong, bright, just short of breaking glass.)

After a few beers. (Still good up to 3 beers (really light beer at 5% alcohol by volume.) Afterward, either stop the beers or stop the singing, (at least for me.)

After 4 scotch doubles (neat), with a soda chaser. Not good. The breath support is too lax. Attention to detail is gone, losing the natural tuning effect we have when sober. It felt okay at the time and I recorded it (never shared it with anyone.) It sounded like crap. If others have thought I had a problem singing a song, trust me, you have not heard through the filter of scotch (single or blended.)

So, I changed. I only have scotch a few times a year and never before singing. Singing is more important to me than drinking scotch. Others' milage may vary. Addiction to alcohol is a real thing. For that, go to a professional, seek help. It still boils down to you and the decisions you make.

Eating? It all depends. We were at a greek restaurant celebrating a friend's birthday. There was a live band letting customers sing. I was "volunteered" by my wife. So, I sang. I survived. But it was not a full concert of singing, either.

I would agree, don't eat too heavy before the show. Drink whatever it is that keeps your throat comfortable. And watch the humidity in the room.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...