Still of the night

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi,

Here I'm playing around with Whitesnake's "Still of the night":

http://www.box.net/shared/6ye96rtdh2

Any comments, good or bad, would be appreciated. Personally, I think it could be done better, but at least these experimentations with different sounds are fun and helpful to me. Have a nice one!

I'm not sure what you mean by better. Do mean, sounding more like Coverdale? You did in the lower end and in the high note. Mid-range, not so much but that is because I think you are a real tenor with a clean voice. You did absolutely fine. I've been wanting to hear what jonpall sounds like and I think I just did.

What Geno said.

And what I meant about you being a true tenor, jonpall, is that you sing this range with much more ease than David Coverdale. Technically, your version is better than the original, if I dare say so, and, in fact, I do dare to say so.

Thanks guys, I'm glad that you like it. I want to come off too much like I'm the only one who doesn't like my singing, but I guess I always have the sound of the original singer, David Coverdale in this instance, in my mind. So I sometimes have a slight dislike for my covers, like everyone I guess. Not always, though. And therefore I'm doing some song writing of my own these days ;)

Thanks guys, I'm glad that you like it. I want to come off too much like I'm the only one who doesn't like my singing, but I guess I always have the sound of the original singer, David Coverdale in this instance, in my mind. So I sometimes have a slight dislike for my covers, like everyone I guess. Not always, though. And therefore I'm doing some song writing of my own these days ;)

I would like to hear your originals. I liked your post some time back of your free form warm-up vocalises. Of anyone here, you are the man of many voices. Due, in some part, to genetics. But you have the ability capture the sound, as well as the emotion. And yes, we all get caught up, now and then, in trying to sound like the original singer because we have their tone in our minds when we do it. In fact, their tone might have been what drew us to the song. The hardest part is to let go of that and just sing it as ourselves.

But I think I heard some of your own original voice in this and that was certainly worth a listening. Whether you ever sound like Coverdale or not is unimportant to me. Really, I just like hearing how you sing it.

Cant offer much advice, but that was pretty awesome

i could not do that low part if it killed me , nice distortion too!!!

www.soundclick.com/chavie

Sounded really great, Jonpall, like others have said i don´t know what you could improve. I am trying this style myself so i know it´s not easy, the support you need is killing me, hahaha.

And I know how easy it is to get caught up in the sound of the original singer. For example, it's really bad for me when I sing a Ronnie James Dio song. First name similarity aside, I am most comfortable singing in his style of singing, which sounds like a belt all the way up. And then the distortion, some of which I can manage, now that I have really latched on to the low larynx thing. But I have to remind myself, too, now and then, to sing it as myself. Even when I am just playing it on guitar, like I do with "Heaven and Hell," "Rainbow in the Dark," and "Holy Diver." Those songs are tough for me to do as myself, since I can sing in his style and it is so tempting to try and mimick his sound, which can lead the way to ruin. I have to remind myself to let the sound be as it is. If it sounds like him, fine. If not, fine. But sing it with support and balance.

Hence, I sometimes vary the vocal melody to one of my own to stake the song as my own and relax.

It can be easier to sing a song totally out of my style because I am not trying to copy anything.

amazing rasp!!!

It's a great cover! But, if i'm allowed to say it lol, i think you could put a little less support. After the low part ( that is so f$$ing great btw) "can't take...." it seems that your straining a little. I think it comes from the rasp you want to add.

Congratz bro'

Sounded awesome man! the only thing that *could* have been better is that may be more freedom in your voice, which I guess will come as you practice this song more. I was wanting to hear the 'still of the night' screams in the chorus man! the high scream was superb! plus that's you playing guitar yes? cuz i know you do an excellent job at that too! :D

Ashique M. Fahim
Instrumental Rock Guitarist
www.reverbnation.com/ashiquemfahim
http://www.youtube.com/user/kalapoka666
www.myspace.com/amfahim
www.facebook.com/iamfahim

Archived