House of Rising Sun - recorded today, in WAV format.

• TMV World Legacy Member

So, this is the piece I am currently working on. I'd like to smooth out the transition into head voice, which is normally smooth, but wasn't on this recording. I'm belting on a D5 here, which I am pretty please about. This is a shameless copy of a beautiful arrangement which I found on youtube by the very talented Delaney Gibson. If you think it benefits a singer to model someone with excellent technique, then Delaney is worth looking up, especially for us girls.

Comment away. I intend to perform this on the 2nd April. My teacher thinks I can have it ready in time. I might like a less screamy colour on the big notes, too.http://www.box.net/shared/3efqq4rxcz

And of course, I am always looking for vibrato on belt, but it just isn't there.

I liked it. It was a bit funny but cute to hear some kids in the background. It gave it a very humane feel :) You may want to relax a bit more when you sing and sing with slightly more confidence. I think I can hear a slight lack of confidence in your voice, which is silly because you have a pretty voice and don't have anything to be embarrased about. It's time to let loose, take it one step further and start to experiment more with what your voice can do, just very naturally, without forcing anything. At least that's my opinion.

Thanks for the feedback Jonpall. Yes, the kids weren't any high tech special effect or anything:lol: . Just my kids, playing in the background. Sometimes there is even a bit of screaming or "Mummy I want a drink" in the background. I use a dynmic mic to record, if I was trying to use the camera mic, there would be way too much background noise, between three kids a dog and a husband!.

I'll bear in mind what you have said about confidence. I don't feel a lack of confidence in Jazz at all, but I am not as comfortable with other genres. I've never really been happy with my sound, except in Jazz, which just feels like home. I'd like to take this particular song and make the sound almost a little more classical, rounder. And I want that vibrato. I could always cheat on that. I don't think the local audience would know.

I didn't hear any lack of confidence. You sounded confident enough to use slides and interesting note choices. And it was a really nice version. The only thing I can suggest for a more classical sound is less slides. Essentially, pick a melody line you like and stick with it. Jazz may be about improv on the spot but classical is about having the same sound each time, in so many words.

Thanks ronws. I guess when I was talking about classical sound, I meant in the tone rather than stylistically. It seemed a little screachy to me. Anyway, it is getting better and I'm starting to feel pretty good about it.

Wow, so there exists an English version of this great song (seems that it's older than the French one actually ;p)! I tried it one day (in French obviously) and it was awfully hard. You did a very good rendition, though I heard a not smooth transition at 1:27. That was the only thing that didn't sound great.

Why aren't days 32 hours long ? <_<

You're amazing! You're tone is really great, a warm tone, in fact. And you got a nice vibrato going on

Good job!

My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/luicacoustic
My band The 4th Take: http://www.facebook.com/the4thtakeband
Check it out! ;D
Covers and originals...
Studying Speech Level Singing since March 2010 :)

Hi guys, thanks. Yes, Ronron, that transition is a bit of a shocker. I've put a bit of work into it and it is better. I may actually be able to belt the E instead of using the transition, but I think I prefer it in head voice. Thanks LuiC, I'm often worried about tone. thanks for reassuring me. I've got a week to go before I'll perform this. I don't get to perform all that often as I live in a small outback town. A good friend is doing guitar for me - can't wait. I'm also going to do Whatever Lola Wants. Maybe I'll record that and post it up here.

Archived