How loud ?

Rate this topic

Ronron

That's a real question I've been struggling with for some time now. Compared to, say, your normal speaking volume, how much louder (or not louder) are you when you sing, say, in the middle of your range ? I know some of you are able to tear ears apart with how powerful they sound, but is it necessary ? Or maybe I just have an even lighter voice than I thought.

My most recent experiments seem to tell me I've been trying to sing too loud. I didn't have much variations capabilities, on top of not controlling some parameters. Felt like yelling on top of yelling, somehow. And yet, it didn't sound any thicker or more powerful, just a lot less controlled and a lot more shouty (and even a bit strainfull). Hence my question. I don't feel I'm on the right track with this, but maybe I'm just mistaken, again.

My voice teacher said we are aiming to produce the ACOUSTIC equivalent of all those loud sounds that we hear. Most contemporary singers are supported by Mics, and they can do alot of the loudness stuff. If you get really loud you have to pull away from the mic anway, so what is the point? Why not go with the same sound, colour, etc, without the same number of decibels. I am also guilty of the too loud thing. And, with me, it was related to learning the truth about what support is (ie holding back air), as I had always though that to support a note was to force more air through the vocal cords to make the note. So, going for big notes, I was pushing lots of air, looking for big sounds. All I got was constriction, and pain. I'm just now making the switch to more accoustic sounds, trying to use support properly, though it hasn't actually reached my singing yet, it is just in the excercises. Right now, some of my singing is much quieter than my speaking voice, some is much louder, and some is the same level, cause I think that the volume dynamic is expressive of feeling. But I don't feel the need to blast people away with my own volume. We've got PA for that.

That's a real question I've been struggling with for some time now. Compared to, say, your normal speaking volume, how much louder (or not louder) are you when you sing, say, in the middle of your range ? I know some of you are able to tear ears apart with how powerful they sound, but is it necessary ? Or maybe I just have an even lighter voice than I thought.

My most recent experiments seem to tell me I've been trying to sing too loud. I didn't have much variations capabilities, on top of not controlling some parameters. Felt like yelling on top of yelling, somehow. And yet, it didn't sound any thicker or more powerful, just a lot less controlled and a lot more shouty (and even a bit strainfull). Hence my question. I don't feel I'm on the right track with this, but maybe I'm just mistaken, again.

don't get caught up on loudness, strive instead for maximizing resonance. this was a mistake i made for many years.

Actually, it's probably my fault. I've been wanting to hear Ronron sing louder. And I should leave well enough alone. Your voice is good, with an even tone throughout your range. You sing on pitch. That should be enough, regardless of the volume of your voice. Instead, we should work on getting you a better mic.

Thank you for your answers, they kind of relate to what I've come to think.

Don't feel guilty, ronws, I needed a volume boost anyway, just probably not to the extent I've been trying, since I don't feel I could go any louder. It actually was really helpful, since I discovered I could sing indeed louder, which can be an interesting trick in a bag.

Now all I need is to practice softer so that I'm not stuck on the high volume, until it all flows naturally. And definitely stop trying to sing those out of mode vowels. But I sooooo hate not having all the vowels at my disposal ^^

I am working on keeping my volume down as I have tried to push out more than necessary, especially while recording. I've found I sound much fuller even though I'm singing softer. Another unexpected side effect is that I started getting more comments about my phrasing. I had not consciously changed it, but the ease I gained from singing softer was letting me phrase in a more subtle speech like manner, and probably wider dynamics also accented existing phrasings in my singing.

Today, I decided to try changing my singing volume after reading this thread and it really made a huge difference. I did a scale from G3-G4 starting on normal speech volume and only increasing the volume slightly in every higher note. The scale never felt this easy before :) Knowing your ideal volume has a much more important place in singing than I thought before.

Hmmm... One could argue that such a sound would be " hard to ignore and [would] demand the attention in a very unique way ", though. I don't know, to be honest, metal is something I have a very hard time grasping.

That is true, it would be hard to ignore. I was focusing more on the emotional release and "on the edge of your seat because they're doing something that it seems like they shouldn't be able to do" parts of his description of visceral. But yea, I'm not saying I know what metal exactly is, just that I don't think it's always coupled with visceral emotion. There was a thread on the CVT forum on what it is and it seems like there's still lots of debate on how to actually define it.

Ok, i so relate to the challenges mentioned in this thread...been doing a LOT of work with my cheap-o walmart recorder and mic, and although something inside me KNEW that trying to sing OVER music that was too loud (say all amps at "13" or the cd player pegged)....was blowing our my voice, i just love the volume soooo much...

and i didnt really know what "mic" volume was, iow, how loud was i supposed to sing? the energy on stage (or in the car heehee) certainely makes you WANT to use your entire body to get a note out....but wow, if i sing at say 2/3 volume i actually like what i hear?

and that effort vocal artists seem to put into those wonderfully high or drawn out notes? WOW, I can and sometimes have to use my body to preserve the softness in my palate while supporting, and sustaining a pitch.....instead of straining (reflected in my body) against the pain and failure of my vocal cords as i shout and lose support but still try to maintain volume and pitch??

shoot its taken me a long time to figure this out. :( and I STILL have a tendancy to slip back to those old wicked ways...how much sooner would i have figured this out if i had a coach...you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink right?

hey seriously, if you can ? and because you should....get with one of the coaches here..it will save you tons of time, spare you from possible cord damage, and also spare you from having your confidence smashed and ground into dust on the pavement....more often than not...;)