Dealing with Consonants

chillwynston

Hi guys,

I've been singing a song by Alter Bridge called "Make it right"

its here if you wanna reference what Im talking about..

Well... Ive been singing the chorus and its made me think about the breath I use with consonants.

The lyric

Into the fire you fall

if only you can make it right

When I get to "fall" the ff consonant seems to expel all my held in air which I need for the note for the "all" section of "fall"

I've been experimenting with this and I found it best to, instead of pushing the word "fall" I sing it like this

into the fire youf all

so that the listener hears fall but I keep my power on the vowel instead of losing it on the "ff"

I kinda stumbled upon this technique, is it an actual technique? It seems to work, makes me think about all my songs differently !!

The lyric

Into the fire you fall

if only you can make it right

When I get to "fall" the ff consonant seems to expel all my held in air which I need for the note for the "all" section of "fall"

that's great if it works, consonants can be friend or foe...and a lot has to do with the words that proceed the trouble spot.

may i offer another possibility?

substitute a "v" for the "f" in fall. the "v" will give you a smoother launch to the vowel and make you less likely to lock up the air and another thing you can try is sing the word "fall" as "vawl" as in "crawl."

steve perry does that for "faithfully"he sings a "v" then gets off it quickly to get to the vowel then goes to the other "v"

"vaaaaaihvaleeeee".......bob

Archived