Please review my singing on this original song

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hey friends, I am a long time lurker but a rare poster. I wanted to ask for some feedback on a song my band just completed for our EP that is to be released soon. I have been singing for a few years, have taken a handful of lessons with Rob Lunte, and want to share my stuff. So let me know what you think. When you click the link, just hit the play button on the top of the screen. And if you get bored (how dare you) fast forward to 3:00 for the money yell! Thanks!

http://www.sonicbids.com/epk/epk.aspx?epk_id=311780

The money yell was awesome =D On the other hand, the rest of the song is only nice, not awesome as well (to me, that is). I can't tell why, maybe it's just too linear for me, or slow, or something like that, lol. But no, I wasn't bored; I liked it.

[color=black][i]Stuff.[/i][/color]

The biggest problem I had was with the prominence in the rough mixes that you have. Sounds like they were mixed by the bass player or someone sympathetic to him. It was overshadowing everything, including the drums, and that can only happen in mixing (blame it on me reading "Zen and the Art of Mixing.")

"Cities gone Silent" - From what I could hear of your voice, you have some Halford-esque tones in there. Especially on the griity high note near the end, your "money yell." And I think what anonimuzz was trying to say is that the whole song is linear from start to finish. Most songs have a chorus that is different in chord progression and melody from the verses. In your song, there is no change from verse to chorus, which is not a bad thing. The Ramones made a living out of linear punk songs that lasted no more than 2.5 to 3 minutes, each. I'm inclined to call this art rock, rather than grunge. Grunge, for alll of it's "anti-establishment" vibe was simply the same ABAB - C - AB format as anything from Motown, it was just dressed in flannel and doc martens, fuzzy guitars mixed low and a singers gargling with pea gravel. "Punk" with a west coast accent. Where as your voice is far finer than that. There are times when your tone on these recordings and your using of a repeating 3-note melody remind me of Jim Morrison. An hypnotic effect. The music is dark and seductive.

I listened to the other recordings, which sound similar and that means that you guys have a defined sound, which can go a long way, but it can also typecast you. Nothing wrong with that. ZZ Top has not changed their sound since they started. Ancient engineering principle: if it works, don't fix it. And they have made a career out of pretty much just 3 chords. They understand the principle. People want the same thing as before, just in different clothes, so to speak.

Good luck to you guys.

You sound very comfortable and confident and that is a very good thing.

Wow thanks Ron and everyone else for listening and for the great feedback.

Ron, funny enough I agree on the mixing, the bass may be a bit loud. As far as the genre goes, Im not really sure either, some call us "grunge" but I think we are just hard rock. Everyone from metal heads to country die hards seem to find something to like about us, which is awesome. This is definitely our most straight forward song though. As far as my tone being similar to Jim Morrison at times, well he is in my top 5 easy, so thanks! And someone once called that big note at the end "your chris cornell money yell" so thats where it got the name. And the comment about it being dark and seductive with a hypnotic effect, if someone asked me what i wanted out of our sound, I would probably use those exact words. So many thanks for receiving the "feeling" we are trying to get across!

Dave - that sounded really good! I think it was recorded pretty well. The mix could use a little strategic EQ settings like more highs in the guitars. I like the snare sound. Your voice, to me, could be more up front and brighter in the mix. The vocal reverb / doubling effect is just a tad heavy. I felt I wanted to hear more of your real voice. I loved the money scream at the end. Great job and good luck with the EP.

Dave, I am so glad you understood the intent of my words. Some days, I can say things and everyone takes them the wrong way. The planets must be aligned in my favor, evidently. Funny how some thought your high note was reminiscent of Chris Cornell. Maybe because they have heard it in person. On this recording, it sounded more like Halford grit from "Turbo Lover."

I would be totally jazzed if you could come up with a different mix of the same tracks but with bass balanced counter to drums and the guitar and vocals a little more prominent in the mix. Not only could we hear your voice better, but it would be a better mix, all around, in my opinion.

And thanks for being honest. I thought I detected a Morrison influence and, per your words, I was right. Must be be my day. It's all about me. :lol:

Archived