advice needed

Rate this topic

VideoHere

the last few days i've noticed a dry, crackly feeling in my folds and throat. nothing done any different, drink plenty of water regularly. this made my singing scratchy sounding, overly metallic sounding and folds less flexible. warmups didn't help.

any ideas are appreciated..

bob

I've gotta a similar thing going on. I've recently had dust all over my house due to an involuntary remodel (don't even ask!) and this drywall dust is everywhere inside and out. It's totally drying me out. Some things I do to help:

Breathe Right strips at night while you sleep so you don't breath through your mouth.

Humidifier to keep the air a bit damp. Not too much or you'll get some kind of mold happening.

Cut down on the Tea a bit. While I love Throat Coat Tea and I think it's a major gift to singers, it can dry you out a bit.

Take a teaspoon of organic Honey.

Layoff soda/caffeine

sleep- get it.

If the pollen is high in your area, that'll mess with you too. I've started taking a Zyrtec in the AM to try and head that stuff off.

Just my 2 cents.

I've gotta a similar thing going on. I've recently had dust all over my house due to an involuntary remodel (don't even ask!) and this drywall dust is everywhere inside and out. It's totally drying me out. Some things I do to help:

Breathe Right strips at night while you sleep so you don't breath through your mouth.

Humidifier to keep the air a bit damp. Not too much or you'll get some kind of mold happening.

Cut down on the Tea a bit. While I love Throat Coat Tea and I think it's a major gift to singers, it can dry you out a bit.

Take a teaspoon of organic Honey.

Layoff soda/caffeine

sleep- get it.

If the pollen is high in your area, that'll mess with you too. I've started taking a Zyrtec in the AM to try and head that stuff off.

Just my 2 cents.

thanks man, i appeciate it.

Jaime Vendera talks about a product called Xooma a lot. It's a packet you put in your water that has various minerals and electrolytes to help your body hold on to it more. He actually describes it as making your water wetter.

https://www.xoomaworldwide.com/jaimevendera/cPage1.asp

Also, James Labrie mentioned in interviews he Always has a thermos filled with warm water and a bit of honey in it and swears by that combo for the vocal problems he's had.

It's a bit unorthodox, but I find avacado or non-spicy guacamole to be super soothing and coating for the throat (for after singing).

Definitely rest your cords, though. No amount of water is going to prevent further injury if there's some damage there and you keep singing.