*Truly* underrated singers...

Validar

Ok, name some truly underrated singers. Let me explain what I mean.

I don't mean someone like Geoff Tate. Now, granted, your Uncle Frank, Aunt Martha, and 95% of your neighbors have no idea who Tate is, but among Queensryche fans, he will be rated highly. Therefore, he's not really "underrated" per se.

I'm talking about the singers you never hear mentioned in any circles when the discussion of great singers comes up, but probably should.

For me...

1. John Sykes

I actually like this version of "Jelly Roll" more than the album version. It gives him the chance to "show his stuff" a bit more. Great work here.

2. Steve Lukather

This cat isn't going to win a range competition anytime soon, but I've always liked his tone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOim6g45UJs

3. Bert Heerink from Vandenberg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In his case, he's just not a household name, but among Steelheart fans, he's very highly rated.

I saw and met him with Steelheart way back in 1992, and he was as impressive live as he is on CD. He didn't dodge a single note.

Ok, name some truly underrated singers. Let me explain what I mean.

I don't mean someone like Geoff Tate. Now, granted, your Uncle Frank, Aunt Martha, and 95% of your neighbors have no idea who Tate is, but among Queensryche fans, he will be rated highly. Therefore, he's not really "underrated" per se.

I'm talking about the singers you never hear mentioned in any circles when the discussion of great singers comes up, but probably should.

For me...

1. John Sykes

I actually like this version of "Jelly Roll" more than the album version. It gives him the chance to "show his stuff" a bit more. Great work here.

2. Steve Lukather

This cat isn't going to win a range competition anytime soon, but I've always liked his tone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOim6g45UJs

3. Bert Heerink from Vandenberg

awesome post idea...this guy has a little lou gramm in him.

Soto is a good one. I hear him mentioned, but only once in a blue moon. He had a brief stint in Journey, too.

I could be wrong, but didn't the singer from Alias/Sheriff once hold the world record for longest sustained note without losing pitch?

Soto is a good one. I hear him mentioned, but only once in a blue moon. He had a brief stint in Journey, too.

I could be wrong, but didn't the singer from Alias/Sheriff once hold the world record for longest sustained note without losing pitch?

yes, but i think some guy richard fink broke it.

Ahhhh, I was just a wee pup when the Quarterflash song came out. I remember thinking "oh, wow. Pat Benatar has a new song out."

Jeez, that statement makes me feel old. Who am I kidding? I remember when Glen Campbell came out with "Wichita Lineman."

Pat Monahan - Lead singer of Train... Has a great control of his passagio, plus he's an amazing songwriter

Chad Kroger - Has a fantastic natural growl, seen them live twice his voice doesnt faulter at all..

Gavin Degraw- Can literally sing any style, has an amazing twang and soulful ability, plus a real raw honest delivery...

Jack Black - He is fantastic, its been said already but I dont think he knows how good he is

Thats it! :cool:

Jeez, that statement makes me feel old. Who am I kidding? I remember when Glen Campbell came out with "Wichita Lineman."

I checked Wiki, and the song was released in 1980, which would have made me 10. Not too wee a pup, I suppose.

Here's another one. I chose Blackie Lawless not so much for his technical skill, but for his distinction. I've don't think I've ever heard anyone that sounds like him.

Archived