Quick critique appreciated, song for my cousin who's getting married

• TMV World Legacy Member

My cousin is getting married on the 21st of may, and unfortunately I'm missing the wedding since I'm off to work in Bulgaria (leaving Sweden on the 19th) and I can't take any time off. So I've been writing a song for them, to give them something at least. Some critique would be appreciated, both when it comes to the singing and the music (mix, arrangement, and so on).

I've written and recorded everything (drums are programmed using EZdrummer). This is much more of a pop song than what I'm usually writing, and I've been experimenting with some keyboard stuff here.

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/28489894/Marcus_-_The_21st_of_May.mp3

Cheers!

I had some opinions about the volume for the singing being a little too low, so I've increased it a bit here:

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/28500561/Marcus_-_The_21st_of_May_testmix_4.mp3

Any other thoughts about it would be welcome :)

Marcus that sounds great! very professional and I'm sure that your cousin is going to love it! I listened on ear buds so I can't give a good critique on the mix, although it sounds balanced to me. The arrangement is nice with the different parts coming in here and there. The beginning is nice with the voices. Here is an idea to consider - because the drums are very steady throughout the whole song, you could try for the first verse keep them totally out, or just like a sparse hi hat or side stick on the snare. Then in the 2nd verse bring the whole set in. Later, before the ending, you could suspend the drums again for like a measure or two and then bring them back in for the ending. This would add a little drama and highlight your voice and add even more interest. Just an idea. Otherwise - fantastic job! They're gonna love it.

Geno

Archived