phonetics!

Matt

So, avoiding phonemic symbols here, the following vowels seat, sit, set and sat are created in the front of the mouth, at the top, middle and bottom. At the back of the mouth, fool, full, fall, cod are created at the back of the mouth, at the top, middle and bottom.

In singing, does one strive to create all vowels cleanly where they belong, or should one be trying to create/resonate them all along the velar (or somewhere else)?

Matt - A common mistake is to try to sing vowels exactly how they are spoken along the whole range. You lose resonance at certain pitches and certain vowels, and it can be unhealthy, and more difficult to control pitch and dynamics. So Vowel modification is used to help resonate in certain areas - especially in the high range. A common one that is done is with the "ee" vowel. When you go up you can drop the jaw and modify it a little to "eh" which helps it resonate up higher, and it eases the tension.

eeh and ooh are incredibly hard to do exactly, so usually they are modified towards i (bit) eh (say) for eeh and oh (so) or o (woman, look) for ooh.

The other vowels are easier, but there still is some modification going.

But I'm not sure it answers the question. I'm not sure I understand it fully actually, reading it again. :)

reading this book, "voice of the mind" vowel modifications at and above your break i now feel are absolutely crutial. the voice up high has to adjust and basically fit in to these natural pockets of resonance because the sound beam is thinner in the higher notes according to the author. the tricky part i think comes when you have to almost re-yawn sometimes to keep the space open in the back. ken tamplin is the only one i know who covers this in detail in a packaged product. but you have to really work on it, and litterally feel your way through it....but when it's right in the pocket, you know it right away.

Yeah, Heat is usually dropped from the front top, alveolar of the mouth to hit lower down in the front of the mouth, same with boot and foot at the back of the mouth, roughly around the palate, usually. Its strange, one would think that to sing a vowel thats created around the alveolar, one should aim for the dead on center of it.

Archived