Finding the "HOLD"

D.Starr

Had a few lapses from singing alately, came down with a lil cold which left me with inflammed lymph nodes under my chin and a bad cough.

Now I'm over it and my singing seems to be really down.

I can't find the slight hold I had when singing curbing.

I was hoping you guys could help me find it again with a few exercises you use.

I need to adduct these cords again.

I use light lip rolls, then progress from lighter sounds to heavier sounds, like ng, nin, nun, moom, booh, buh etc with total relaxation, trying to forget about how it actually sounds.

Also, I REALLY think that the body needs to be taken care of physically... and if an inexperienced singer like myself sees a difference, then surely anyone should try it. I suffered a physical trauma to my throat six months ago and simple techniques like stretching and massaging all the muscles around the neck area really helped me (ease the pain but more importantly the tension; muscles become tight after an injury, even an injury that doesn't affect them directly).

http://www.jaimevendera.com/lesson104.html

This is a great link put out by a great vocal coach. Try it out for a while, see if it works for you.

Thanks, never really tried to make the lips rolls more "meaty" whilst doing them.

I'll give it a quick go in the morning (23.10pm GMT don't wanna wake anyone up)

Yeah I'll also try the exercises by Jaime.

Jaime's website are down atm. I check it everyday :( Ah, awesome, I check it everyday, I can actually remember what to do. Haha :)

First there is some breathing exercises, some siss exercises, and then just stretch out your neck left, right, up and down. And then you massage the back of your neck, starting at the part where neck and skull meet, and then down to the shoulders. Proceed doing the same thing on the sides aswell.

Then there is a stretch where you hold your throat. And one where you massage the place under the ear, close to the chin.

And then a strecth where you just open your eyes as much as you can, stick your tongue out and just open up everywhere.

That is what I usually do, before I warm up my voice.

I had the CVT book for 2-3 years and it is one of the best things written on singing period. But one thing I never got until someone on this forum put it in different words that actually illuminated me on the subject was that the HOLD may take MORE of an exaggerated wimper/whine than you first think - you can always back it off.

As soon as I started over exaggerating the sob - bingo. If CVT had of said "Whine like a moaning lil' b*tch" I would have got it and found the hold straight away... :)

I had the CVT book for 2-3 years and it is one of the best things written on singing period. But one thing I never got until someone on this forum put it in different words that actually illuminated me on the subject was that the HOLD may take MORE of an exaggerated wimper/whine than you first think - you can always back it off.

As soon as I started over exaggerating the sob - bingo. If CVT had of said "Whine like a moaning lil' b*tch" I would have got it and found the hold straight away... :)

Hahaha I'll try and whimper a lil more, I just don't like that style that's probably why I've held back on whimpering.

I've heard a clip from Jonpall where he kinda cries like a small child and goes into a note and then sings a song from that onset. I'ma start experimenting.

I don't like that style either but until you bring the volume down and whimper you may not get it.

Start at an easy talking volume and just moan INTO the sound like you are actually physically in pain. It was an epiphany when I stopped shouting and trying to sing loudly and started trying to sing like a nice moaner. I'm still working on it but now I KNOW I am on the right track because when I get loud its because I achieving good resonance and my folds aren't fighting with uncontrolled blasts of air...

Archived