Please critique my vocals? :D (Muse cover)

Hi all :)

I've been working on a cover of Muse's song Take a Bow. It has some chesty high notes towards the end, and some high head voice wailing, very common in Muse songs. I would love to know what people think! What do you like, what don't you like, what do you think I can improve on? Also I'm open to exercises that you think might help me.

I want to clarify, yes it's a very bombastic song, but I'm shy as HELL posting this! I couldn't bring myself to post an un-processed vocal, perhaps in a future post I will be able to. This just features some chorus and EQ, no pitch correction or anything like that.

*** I have recorded another take, added below. For the first take click here. ***

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnvSiq4r5LY

P.S. Please be nice. :P

Thanks! More confidence? Hmm... someone else told me to sing it with more power, which I guess means more confidently too, though I find singing this song with more volume is very hard. I'll give it a try though.

And yeah, everyone here knows Guy Sebastian. :P I like his voice, but not a fan of his songs.

Alright, here's take 2: acapella! I went full-metallic this time around, and held the last note for a little bit longer. My mic technique also seems to be getting better.

Please let me know what you think. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnvSiq4r5LY

I had not heard this song, so I youtubed it to hear the original. And I think you were close to the original. Your tone was a little more nasal but I think you did alright with this. You certainly have the right voice type for this song. And I bet you would rock the world if you wrote a song like this for your own voice.

Edited to add:

You were wise to pick this song. So many people hold themselves back by picking the wrong song for their voice. I know I have done so, in the past.

Thank you! I'm happy you think my voice is suited to this kind of music, as it's the kind of music I would love to write.

If you aren't familiar with Muse, their music is very experimental and diverse, covering hard rock/metal, to electronica, classical, R&B etc. But though their music varies, Matt Bellamy uses a very similar vocal style in each song. They are fitting the song to the voice, not the other way around.

For that reason, I'm excited about writing my own music. When the songs are written for YOUR voice, there are no technical challenges to overcome.

Thanks Ron :)

I've actually been attempting to write my first song for a while now. I have some solid ideas worked out, but pulling them together is the tricky part.

In the meantime, I will keep exploring my limits via Muse songs. I'm planning to cover a couple of very difficult songs, and I'm hoping people can help me improve upon those. I'm looking forward to your thoughts when I post them. :P

Start out simple with simple melodies. Not only are such songs stronger in the end, but you sound better on those songs. Plus, they sell more copies. If you want everyone buying your record, you need memorable melodies. I love Bach's two-part inventions. But they don't sell like "Jumpin Jack Flash" from the Rolling Stones.

Archived