Playing a little with Journey´s Open Arms

Rate this topic

I have vacation and it´s bad weather - perfect for singing some tunes. Many people here admire Journey and so do i so i tried to sing the chorus of the song Open Arms. Very difficult of course and my support isn´t good enough to sing this song among other things but i can´t stay away :). I know it´s a little or very pitchy but besides that, what do i need to pay attention to here and also does someone know the exact pitches in the chorus, just of curiosity so i can compare and see how pitchy i am.

Thanx in advance/ Ola

http://www.box.net/shared/6nglj43vcr4o9smzopm0

Carrying chest voice way too high. Lighten up. Most, if not all, of this song is in head voice. Yeah, I sound like a one-trick pony, right now. But I happen to be right, on this one. Then again, my suggestions are from a stylistic basis. So, I think I am right, byt I may not be right. It did sound heavy. Bravo on the amount of air and closed quotient adduction.

The original sounds like head voice to me. However, your belting version might just the thing for you. Does it feel comfortable, wobbles aside?

Thanx for your answer Ron. I didn´t feel so comfortable yesterday and i felt a little strained. I have focused alot to have a crying sound in my vocals and have also always used the downward push in my support. Today i skipped all of that, skipped the crying sound, well not entirely but didn´t try to achieve so much, and tried to tighten a little bit higher in my support and then i sang. It sounds a little bit better i think but most importantly i am not so tired, more relaxed.

http://www.box.net/shared/cxuyo3p5aimd1oq91aie

Hi,

I recommend the reading of this post;

http://www.punbb-hosting.com/forums/themodernvocalist/viewtopic.php?id=2033

Take in whats been said by All, JonPall has plenty of experience with these songs...

Also ... I recommend having a skype with JP, I think he'll free you up a bit and have you singing with better clarity. It'll also be good for JP having a coaching lesson (if he's up for it :) ) ... p.s. love to listen in.

Stew

Hi, Stew!

Thanx for the tip. Jonpall and i chat a little, we have a similair music taste and he obviously has a lot of knowledge about the singing voice so i think i will give him a try (if my wife doesn´t disapprove :) ).

Way better in tone and more relaxed. Volume for days. Your pitch shifted a little bit (the danger of a capella.) In fact, you could probably back off the volume just a smidge but only if that means you stay relaxed. Singing should be strain-free and you sounded relatively free of strain which actually helps when ending a note.

Hi,

I recommend the reading of this post;

http://www.punbb-hosting.com/forums/themodernvocalist/viewtopic.php?id=2033

Take in whats been said by All, JonPall has plenty of experience with these songs...

Also ... I recommend having a skype with JP, I think he'll free you up a bit and have you singing with better clarity. It'll also be good for JP having a coaching lesson (if he's up for it :) ) ... p.s. love to listen in.

Stew

I just posted on that thread. Thanks, Stewart. Olem, IMO, you should just work on your pitch as the next step for you. You have loads of talent but you need to improve your pitch. Cheers!

• 2 years later...

Hi Olem, good job! But I'm with Ronws in this one: I think you need to approach it in a lighter way, instead of coming too hot and heavy. As soon as you get your support down, you fix the pitch issue. Still, it will sound like as if Bruce Dickinson was singing it. Cheers!

I'm sorry, but I just have to be honest. That was bad. As in not good. At all. I don't think that song is anywhere near your range. I'm just being honest, so please don't take this as an attack on you or your talent. I've listened to other tunes from you and they were much better than this so I think it is your choice of material. This is not an easy song so kudos to you for the effort, but it was not successful.

Hehe, Spam brought this post up again, yes you are right, this was a bad effort and i haven't heard it since i posted it almost 3 years ago. I can hear that i have improved since then even though i am not practising as much as i should.