Vocal coaches, give me your worst

Spectrum

Hi everyone.

I'm posting this in Vocal Technique because, like Jonpall, I think more people (+ teachers) will see it here, hopefully leading to more feedback that I can use.

This is my fourth cover on TMV. The first three songs I recorded all highlighted weak spots of mine, some of them expected because I had picked the song for that reason, and some of them very unexpected. Today, I wanted to take a step back and focus on my comfortable range, and strongest points.

So here is my attempt at a high-quality recording. Please be brutally honest: What do you like? What don't you like? What could I improve upon?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-zbiL4V2ig

Tyler

I enjoyed listening to it. It sounded passionate to me, but vocal coaches are able to hear every tiny detail/aspect of vocals that i don´t. IMO the regular listener and a fan of this kind of music will appreciate this tune. However, you are doing the right thing when u ask professionals on this forum if u want to develop as a singer.

Wow, thanks for the huge reply Dante, I didn't expect that, haha. :lol: You've given me lots to think about, but this could be the missing ingredient in my singing... as I have felt I don't quite know how to properly involve myself in the lyrics. In answering those questions to myself, I found the answers were surprisingly personal, thoughts I hadn't invested in when considering what the song meant, and certainly thoughts that don't usually pop into my mind when I'm singing it.

Hmm... now you have me intrigued. I've had a glimpse of why I love the music that I do, and I want to learn more.

Also, thank you Olem and Raphaels for your comments. I really do appreciate them. :)

I disagree with Dante, even though I would agree with him very much on other things and even quote him in my sig.

This song is for your voice. Man, you could be making money in dance clubs. And selling to dance clubs. It was all about the song, not just showcasing your voice, which is all well and good, here. It was about the song and that makes you an artist, regardless of what level of "accomplishment" you are now at. Of course, I may be the odd one because I don't judge a performance by whether or not it is hard rock or heavy metal. I listen to all types of music, including this. Shoot, I still crank "Take On Me" by A-Ha. My secret sin is that I have "Live and Sleazy" by the Village People. Yes, let the laughter begin. It was a fun album.

Work on other things, sure. But you've got some art in your soul and it was nice to hear it. However, you can take my comments with a grain of salt. I am not a vocal coach, I have no vocal website, I am not selling anything. I'm just an old fart that still buys music on hard media, cd. (Don't even ask about my phonograph collection that I can't seem to part with, including an original CERAMIC pressing of Billie Holiday's "Lady Sings the Blues."

You got the range down.

You just need some attitude in there. It's too soft musical theater sounding for singing apocalypse end of the world Muse songs.

Bring some grit, compression, and biting nasality into the mix. That will really boost the emotional impact of your performance. :)

Work on other things, sure. But you've got some art in your soul and it was nice to hear it. However, you can take my comments with a grain of salt. I am not a vocal coach, I have no vocal website, I am not selling anything. I'm just an old fart that still buys music on hard media, cd. (Don't even ask about my phonograph collection that I can't seem to part with, including an original CERAMIC pressing of Billie Holiday's "Lady Sings the Blues."

Wow, thanks Ron. :) And don't be silly... I value your opinion. I always look forward to hearing your thoughts when people post, because you have years of experience, and obviously that can't be taught.

Thanks again guys. I've picked up some golden advice from this thread... I can't wait to see how it all factors into my sound when I make another recording.

Archived