My Helloween covers will appear here

Forever and one; your best recording, yet. I liked it better than the others and that takes some doing. Dude, I got chills.

And yes, you do have that Klaus Meine sound on this but I think it is a good thing. I am trying to place your accent. I once worked with a guy named Alex who was born in Germany and grew up in the Ukraine. Consequently, he knew very little german and mostly Ukrainian and some English. I knew a little bit of Russian, which is close enough to Ukrainian, except for the accent. To me, Ukrainian is a little more european. I just thought it might have an influence on your sound.

Anyway, well done.

Jugu.

Yours covers are quite hmmm..... professional.

Tell us about your experience. Have you had some singing lesson? Im sure I can hear just a little bit classic technique. Especially in Queen cover.

How do you build your passagio...etc? What was the biggest problem in your singing career?

Thanks

Dev

Tell us about your experience. Have you had some singing lesson?

From 1982 to 1988, when I was a young boy, I studied sol-fa and took piano lessons at a musical school. I actually started to sing in approx. 1988. At first, I'd been with a hard rock band, and at the same time I sang much classical stuff. Of course, I had singing lessons, but not too long. Since those days I've been singing on my own. In my vocal practice, I sang many songs by Helloween, Iron Maiden, King Diamond, Mark Slaughter, Judas Priest etc.

What was the biggest problem in your singing career?

Initially, I had good higher (C5-C6) and lower (C2-D4) notes, but D#4-H4 was my problem vocal subrange. And you see, how can a person sing a rock song having no 4th octave??? It took over 5 years to make it sound as good as my higher and lower notes. Now I can hit C2 to C6.

Jeez, I have only about 2.5 octaves, depending on which system one goes by. One voice coach here defines tenor as E3 to about 3 octaves over that. Another author I have read defines tenor as C3 to C5. Currently, on a better day, I go from E3 to Ab5 or B5, though I think I hammered a C6 one day but I can't articulate much with it. More of a stunt note than anything.

You've got great pitch and control of your voice , well done.

I won't comment on some pronunciation issues, 'cause I am a foreign speaker myself and I struggle with that too.

Very well made overall, keep'em coming !

Thanos

PS. Any chance of you doing stuff off "Jagulator" ?

I know , finding backing tracks is a pain.

I - like most I guess - usually take out the mids off the center - usually where most of the vocal info resides.

More often than not it results in a thin/blurry backing track but what the heck ?

It does the job and time's precious, can't afford wasting it on making backing tracks, no way.

Initially, I had good higher (C5-C6) and lower (C2-D4) notes, but D#4-H4 was my problem vocal subrange. And you see, how can a person sing a rock song having no 4th octave??? It took over 5 years to make it sound as good as my higher and lower notes. Now I can hit C2 to C6.

This to me is inspiring. My 4th octave is in the process of filling in. I have from around Ab1-Bb5 with a very tricky break. On some days I can slide over it at maximum volume without a break. But it's tricky. After that I start to lose volume when I pass above F5. Anything above that is stunt notes as ronws calls them.

Speaking of ronws I haven't heard you sing dude but I'm sure you can go below E3. Nobody can sing a loud C2 except maybe an 80 year old alcoholic on steroids. Or a baleen whale. You can count notes that aren't quite as loud. Give yourself some credit XD What pitch do your sentences tend to end on when you talk?

Also Jugulator I wish I had your accent. I'm American and English is my first language. I easily could become a country singer. But I'd rather have an exotic European accent.

Oh I know about Vlad Miller and Russian basses and Tibetan throat singing and JD Sumner and all that. They can hit those notes louder than I can but I mean nobody can really shout those notes. I'm saying Ronws can probably consider notes lower than E3 a part of his range. I know mezzo sopranos who consider E3 to be in their range.

Speaking of ronws I haven't heard you sing dude but I'm sure you can go below E3. Nobody can sing a loud C2 except maybe an 80 year old alcoholic on steroids. Or a baleen whale. You can count notes that aren't quite as loud. Give yourself some credit XD What pitch do your sentences tend to end on when you talk?

It depends on what day it is.

I've learned not to showcase in this part of the forum. Instead, follow this link.

http://www.themodernvocalist.com/profile/RonStone

You can scroll down to "my music" and hear what I have done.

Thanks, srs and truthfully, I never cared about what octave I was in. I prefer to approach from the Geoff Tate school of thought. Feel the emotion of the song, rather than the technical details. But this past week, I decided to see what my range was and I was having an off day last weekend, probably due to allergies affecting my voice. However, my low notes are somewhat softer in volume in the higher stuff, which I mediate with proximity to the mic. For the low notes at lower volume, I am about 10 inches away from the mic. For the higher notes at hgher volume, I am usually at least 2 feet away.

And perhaps, I have been a bit "old school." When I say usable, I mean projecting over an orchestra without usig a mic.

Using a mic, I can go lower.

edited to add:

I don't think it was an A2 I was doing. More likely, an A3. Basically, at low volume with good mic placement, I can fake some baritone. Bass is beyond me.

As for speaking pitch, probably baritone and I had picked up a bad habit of dropping pitch at the end of a sentence and also used that effect in training my dog. Dogs respond to a drop in pitch. It's how momma dog signifies that she means business. Someone here pointed out I was "crashing" notes at the end of a phrase and I have learned to stop doing that.

Another difference is that I don't sing like I speak. More currently, I have worked on speaking like I sing, i.e., with resonance which creates a daisy chain of breath management and better fold closure.

I should probably email so that I don't hog any more of this thread.

Archived