Any way to work on Runs, Licks and Riffs?

D.Starr

My singing is getting increasing better, day after day.

Tried to do a few runs etc and just found that they are difficult and wondered if there were a few exercises or personal experiences you guys have had to develop these.

My singing is getting increasing better, day after day.

Tried to do a few runs etc and just found that they are difficult and wondered if there were a few exercises or personal experiences you guys have had to develop these.

the important thing about runs is to stay anchored to one word or syllable during the execution.

riffs and runs are a vocal acoutrements, to be used sparingly and purposefully.

they require vocal agility, flexibility and quickness at times which means you cannot engage thick fold closure.

a simple exercise you can do to help with your runs is to simply pick two adjacent notes, and let's say on an "ah" (father) and waver back and forth on those two notes, much like you might practice your vibrato. then work up two three notes, then four....up and down each time. start slow then gradually increase speed.

another thing i do, is record the song into a cd recorder that you can alter the playback speed. slow it down and listen carefully to the changes.

hope i've helped.

OK I'll check out the pentatonic scales and try it out.

I can do basic runs, would just like a little more freedom and flexibility.

explain what you mean by "freedom"...

also, i wanted to mention you could try singing the song without runs first to nail down the notes then embellish (tastefully) with your runs.

we have this guy i karaoke with who adds runs on everything....yuk potential!!!!

Getting good at runs and licks involves a couple things in my opinion. First, getting rid of tension enables you to more from note to note quicker and on pitch. Practicing scales helps here. Second, the ability to do licks or runs requires that you can "hear" the lick in your mind - this is important especially for fast licks. If you can't "hear" the lick in your mind - up to speed - it will be difficult to sing it. Practicing the lick very slowly at first and then increasing the speed very gradually helps a lot.

Tamplin suggests making up exercises for specific licks and then practicing them up and down your range, 1/2 step at a time.

I'd say the best way to learn runs is by listening and copying old soul singers. Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye, The Temptations...

Freddie is good too.

seth, i think he's referring to the more contemporary singers that really wiggle run and such.

Oh I don't mind singing out loud, if I mess up I mess up. I'm learning I don't call myself a pro.

If they can do better then, show me.

But yeah I've been listenin hard and doing them real slow and workin at em.

Slowly developing.

Archived