BARTON HOLLOW BY THE CIVIL WARS

• TMV World Legacy Member

This song is killing me. I was written as a duet but I am trying to do it solo and the vocal range is so wide as to make it really tough. Any tips from one and all to help me improve it would be greatly appreciated.

Bud

I don't know what to tell you.

Years ago, I used to sing the entire show of "Jesus Christ, Superstar" from Caiaphas to Judas Iscariot to the title role. I think I crapped out most on Caiaphas because I can't sing bass and I can fake baritone if the volume of everything else is low.

But you have quite a range.

I don't know what to tell you.

Years ago, I used to sing the entire show of "Jesus Christ, Superstar" from Caiaphas to Judas Iscariot to the title role. I think I crapped out most on Caiaphas because I can't sing bass and I can fake baritone if the volume of everything else is low.

But you have quite a range.

Ron, Does this come of as horrible or should I keep pursuing this song ? Looking for an honest opinion. I feel like I can get their with some work, what do you think >

Bud

• Administrator

Budster, Im glad I came across your post this evening...

You want the truth? I think you have a very good voice. Your voice is very resonant and I can hear good intuition in your singing. With serious training, you could become an awesome vocalist. So if you commit to training, you can be great.

What I think needs work is, tune your guitar. I hope to not embarrase you, but I want to help you... I think your guitar needs to be tuned.

Once you get your guitar tuned and the chords strumming a little better, slow down the tempo about 30% and lay back on this. This sounds like a pretty gritty, southern blues vibe... Then, I think you will dial in the essence of the song. Did you write this? The song is cool and could be great, clean up the guitar work and slow down the tempo and you'll see what I mean.

I hope this helps...

Robert, Thanks very much for taking the time to give me some specific feedback on this as it is really helpful. The guitar is in a special tuning called DADGAD tuning and I am bending the strings to get that funny sound out of it to fit the mood of the song. This song was written by a group called the civil wars and was originally sung as a duet. I see what you mean about slowing it way down. Thanks for the recommendation about getting some training as I am self trained and have been singing and playing for three years now.

Any recommendations for a voice coach in Northern San Diego County ?

I do appreciate you giving me honest and constructive feedback,

Bud

Archived