That Robert Plant sound

waitwhat

Hey you guys, this is more a general question than me wanting to do a cover, or anything. Any tips on getting the tone Robert Plant does? To get more specific, his high notes just tend to have real power to them. I don't mean I want to sound just like him, I mean I want to add that wail to my high notes.

Also, can anyone point me in the directions of some exercises for rasping/screaming(not the screamo type screams. The bluesy rasps/screams. Again, like Plant)? And also just explain it to me a bit, 'cause I'm a bit skeptical. I've heard about how they engage the false vocal folds to rasp. But does it -actually- not damage the voice? 'Cause to me they sound more or less the same. Granted, I'm not an expert of the rasping/screaming technique(that's why I'm here, asking this).

This question is after a few hours of listening to Black Dog and Kashmir on repeat, so if you'd like to help me out, and use those songs as reference, that'd be great.

Pointing you in some directions: First try the search button on this forum and look for rasp, distortion, screaming, creaking, etc. Secondly, get some vocal program that teaches this. The ones that I have that teach this and I recommend are Mark Baxter's 5 secrets of screaming, Jamie Vendera's Raise your voice and the CVT book. You can also send me an email if you have more questions. I'm in the process of developing a system of exercises for this type of singing. There are also several good screamers on this forum that could give you tips.

Ya know, I think getting rasp/distortion is all about experimenting, really. I found it on my own while just playing around with my voice. If your technique is right, meaning your breathing and support, then go ahead and experiment with adding the rasp. Jaime Vendera teaches this stuff. In fact, he just put out a one-of-a-kind screaming lesson that you can check out here www.screaminglessons.com

But like I said, you just gotta find it on your own. Practice using a vocal fry and add a little bit of breath over it...it can help you 'warm-up' to that sound.

Hey jonpall, looking forward to those exercises! That should be great :D

Never thought to search for similar topics, sorry about that. And thanks Jonpall, I'll look into it. I just wanna throw out a compliment here, your recordings of doing high rasp is pretty much what I'm going for.

I'll check out that website too, thanks Stan.

One advice i can give is to not try to sing too loud. You don t Have to "push" the sound

just try to simply "think" high chesty, "think" raspy, think "robert plant." Bring in some twang, and relax the throat.

Yes, you can will yourself to the sounds.

That was actually a big question I had. I've been karaoke-ing along to my favorite rock stars for ages(I practice regularly, as well. I just do this, too :P). I know what twang -sounds- like, but where is it felt? Are the vibrations felt at the back of the throat, that resonance in the nasal cavities(unless I'm mistaken). Because that's what I do that I (think) sounds twangy, and I know that, whatever it is I'm doing, it's not nasal.

Hey wait, using nasal resonance does not make you sound nasal. In fact, the most nasal sound comes from blocked of sinuses (think Sylvester Stallone as Rocky.) The other extreme is where all sound comes through the nose, which is not using nasal resonance and it sounds nasal (think Chef Paula Dean from Atlanta, Goergia.)

The sinus or nasal passages are a major factor in resonance and by accessing them, it allows the use of rasp to be easier. Then, rasp becomes a matter of relaxing.

That was actually a big question I had. I've been karaoke-ing along to my favorite rock stars for ages(I practice regularly, as well. I just do this, too :P). I know what twang -sounds- like, but where is it felt? Are the vibrations felt at the back of the throat, that resonance in the nasal cavities(unless I'm mistaken). Because that's what I do that I (think) sounds twangy, and I know that, whatever it is I'm doing, it's not nasal.

plant sings with twang a lot...that's a main component of his brightness..twang is the narrowing of the epiglottic funnel

which brightens the sound and gives a perceived increase in volume. it's great to use and experiment with too...

when i do "thank you" on that "inspiration" i kick in a bunch. jon bon jovi uses it a lot...that's that piercing sound he gets.

Archived