Analyse vocals (how?)

Rate this topic

rofleren

I've been given the task by my teacher (for an exam paper) to analyse three songs' vocals and compare them to each other. But honestly I have no idea how to do that.

What can you say about vocals?

"loudness", vocalmode(?), twang, onsets, how much breath on the voice, vocalmass, heavy, light, medium, effects(vibrato). Anyone else have ideas? I've been given a hard task : (

Three singers sing Bring Him Home.

Wow, this is not good I have three main questions (translated from boldly from Danish):

The evolution of the tonal and the ideal of singing (male voices)

Comparing analysis of tonal and songtechnique used in the three different recordings. What are the songs message, expression and genre?

Perspective to songtechnique and tonal ideals today. Is the concept vocal under change and where are we heading?

I have answered most of question one and three, but I have NO IDEA how to write an analysis of vocals. That's like putting me in the position of a good vocal teacher, I think. How would you guys do this? All I can do is guess :(

For some reason, the third video keeps crashing my browser (fred flinstone 1.2) I can't get past the harp intro.

The other two played fine. And you will know more about CVT than I do. One needs a glossary to fully converse in that training system. For example, I think curbing is mixed voice on the uh sound but don't quote me on that.

Anyway, the first singer and the second singer have different approaches to the song.

The first, theatrical, very soft on soft parts, definite expert control over messa di voce.

Second, on operatic, less fine control for soft volume but a tighter vibrato and a Caruso-like ring to his voice, can be heard easily over the orchestra, whereas the first guy almost got drowned out and he was pushing just a smidge during the crescendo.

It's hard for me to compare onsets. Both singers must necessarily have soft onsets to avoid stroking the glottis but the first guy is onsetting for a soft note and the second may have a soft onset but immediately drives into head-splitting resonance.

The second guy articulates his words more fully with his lips with vowels closer to the italian form. The first guy is using a more american pronunciation which, albeit, can be a vowel killer. We can be just as bad at butchering the english language as the English, themselves.

The first guy, more plaintive, the second guy more affirmative. And I think one's approach to the song makes quite a difference in timbre choice. Just look at the different ways that different people approach "Gethsemane," for example.