What is the best way to start getting better breath support?

Rate this topic

EvilSoup

The semi occluded phonations really help this because they restrict air flow. The lip roll is great for this. Sirens are good. Octave arpeggios, and octave scales - moving the starting pitch from low to high over the entire range is also helpful.

Find your resonance. Once you find that, the support will change to match it.

And breathe from the belly. Forget all about that diaphragm word. Inhale by relaxing the belly. Sing while letting the belly come in. Don't take a full breath that taxes the limits of the lungs, that just introduces tension. Adduct the folds just enough to create the note. Let the note get off of the folds and into the head, regardless of pitch.

Repeat as necessary.

• Administrator

Agreed, semi-occluded phonations.... resonant tracking and to balance phonation threshold pressure and build strength to keep your glottis closed. Working on twang contractions will also help. We need to hear a file to know for sure, but chances are, your losing respiration through the glottis.

you might like to do a few exercises to increase breath capacity, i did and it helped a great deal.

practise holding your breath, each day try to hold it longer and longer. pant like a dog, really striving to feel the stomach move with each pant. keep the thrroat open and relaxed.

The sound "sh" like in the word "she" helps build something though im not sure what.. I was told to make quick "sh" sounds - rapidly so I could feel my stomach tighten a little.. And to do that a few minutes every day..

yes, those help with conditioning the diaphragm, just like the dog pants and the pistol shot "ha's"

the better you get, the faster you want to do them. ken tamplin advocates the "ha's."

Bob - when you're practicing holding your breath, do you maintain the openness/inhale sensation like you would if you were singing? Or do you just hold it in and relax like an amateur would?

i don't do it as much anymore, but when i did breath holding exercises, i kept the ribs expanded and the throat relaxed. progress was pretty fast...i think in a month i was holding my breath effortlessly for a minute and a half.

i used jamie vendera's breathing book.