Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me

• TMV World Legacy Member

This is one of my favorite Elton John songs. Been trying to get more intensity in my voice and keep it loose at the same time. But there are still places I haven’t gotten all the kinks worked out. I think I can get a little thicker tone higher up eventually. Just have to keep plugging away.

Any feedback and critiques on problem areas is greatly appreciated.

http://www.box.com/s/vyj175hzb1i9jas2bbd0

I'm a bit pressed for time ATM, but hell, yes Quincy! I actually just listened to this song today, the duet with George Michael and Elton John so this is exactly what I wanted!.

You were sounding good there and had the feeling of the song down great, pitch was pretty good and your voice was fluid, like you have some mobility going on. I like your rhythmic feel and think you should really work this for all of you've got. Rhythm in singing is often underrated and not understood so well even by a lot of skilled singers. Keep working on phrasing the 'feeling' you feel, I think you have a talent for weaving in and out of melodies.

The only potential idea I had for improvement, is potentially like you were saying modifying the sound a bit for more resonance or 'openness.' I didn't get a very technical listen for the technique you were using, but maybe a lower larynx (beginning of yawn), or modified more towards open vowels (ah, eh, oh, uh, depending on mode) might be starting points. It sounded in a few places like you were just short of really opening up and letting the big voice out to play. I think you've got it, cause I can hear it peeking through.

Anyway, for inspiration, I listen to this frequently:

Seriously, badass song choice. I'd love to see more stuff like this here! Gotta go, great job man!

Great Job.

I love this song too.

My advice to this song would be singing it more legato next time. Listen to my clip of "As" in G.M style http://www.box.com/s/au6mdevfab9vm7sio1q2 I sing legato every line.

Do the same with "Don't let.."

And great cover to inspire. Much better then original in my opinion.

Greetings from Poland

My singing -----> http://soundcloud.com/richardstomach

You were sounding good there and had the feeling of the song down great, pitch was pretty good and your voice was fluid, like you have some mobility going on. I like your rhythmic feel and think you should really work this for all of you've got. Rhythm in singing is often underrated and not understood so well even by a lot of skilled singers. Keep working on phrasing the 'feeling' you feel, I think you have a talent for weaving in and out of melodies.

Thanks for all your insights KillerKu! I’m still trying to tap into the feeling to get the intensity. It is a delicate balance for me to find. Trying to stay opened and relaxed at the same time. But at least I now have a focus to work on. I can only imagine what an awesome feeling it would be to get to the point you can instinctively let it rip and keep it free and open at will.

The only potential idea I had for improvement, is potentially like you were saying modifying the sound a bit for more resonance or 'openness.' I didn't get a very technical listen for the technique you were using, but maybe a lower larynx (beginning of yawn), or modified more towards open vowels (ah, eh, oh, uh, depending on mode) might be starting points. It sounded in a few places like you were just short of really opening up and letting the big voice out to play. I think you've got it, cause I can hear it peeking through.

I think that is a big part of it. Particularly a little higher up when adding more intensity. It’s mind over matter getting that opened wide pharynx and allowing the resonance to take over. I’m going to keep probing for it but also keep it relaxed at the same time. At least I know you will never get it trying to muscle things.

Yea that video is very inspiring!

Great Job.

I love this song too.

My advice to this song would be singing it more legato next time. Listen to my clip of "As" in G.M style http://www.box.com/s/au6mdevfab9vm7sio1q2 I sing legato every line.

Do the same with "Don't let.."

I think I know what you mean devaitis. I need a more connected line with less consonant interference. And a more controlled breath release. I noticed in all these clips posted how everyone has longer more drawn out phrases. My phrases are shorter… I think mainly because I’m not metering the air out efficiently… then I’m out of options.

Thanks Keith. Yea Baybay! Your friend has some serious singing chops. Love the way he layers that gritty blues sound. Something I would give certain body parts up to develop!

Thanks Keith. Yea Baybay! Your friend has some serious singing chops. Love the way he layers that gritty blues sound. Something I would give certain body parts up to develop!

I've known him since high school - and to the best of my knowledge, he has NEVER had a lesson... And when I go to karaoke night he is always there... The guy can sing anything, and it sometimes makes me nausiated lol. How does someone sing like that with no lessons? How has he not injured himself yet? Ya know?

www.drop-head.com

Archived