Snax-Who's Loving you (Again)

• TMV World Legacy Member

Well, I sang my heart out but unfortunately I overdid it through most of the song! lol This is a case study in how to ruin a really good classic soul song. ;) http://soundcloud.com/mike-bromelow/snax-whos-loving-you-dec-20

"GIDDYUP!"

I certainly didn't hold anything back Keith, that's for sure! lol Nah, I over did it but what the hell. It was a wicked vocal workout. I must have done 25 takes on some of the parts until I got what I wanted. The problem in doing that is that there's no way in hell I could ever sing this live the way I recorded it. It's just too much balls out singing for one song.

"GIDDYUP!"

Lmao, that's interesting man, one of my favorite songs. I do have a suggestion though for next time, try to drop it down an octave, but still use the high notes as ornamentation, when you want emphasis or interjection. Try it more like punctuation in your speech. Maybe even back off the twang slightly, and let the notes go down a bit more smooth.

The freewheeling feeling you have going on is soulful and good, but the constant high pitch is more so what feels strange with this style of song, I think. It's definitely a unique take on the song. Possibly the first person to ever do this with it!

The way I look at singing, it's kind of like painting which I'm also quite fond of. I see the lower notes as similar to the shadows, and the high notes as the highlights, the combination between, the contrast, the shape, the form is what makes the painting work as artwork. This performance felt like a wash of light to me, which was interesting, but I do think it might connect better if you stepped back from the high notes and focused on the contrast.

Tough to do, cause you have a very strong high range now and I'm sure it's tempting to use it to maximum effect and practice it a bunch. It's like when people pick up guitars they want to go up the neck and just shred those high notes as fast as they can 'cause they can.' I actually believe a lot more guitar players get kicked out of bands for playing 'too much' rather than having poor technique. When I first started playing music, I came from a school of thinking, that more challenging is better and I remember trying to play my guitar faster and faster, trying to make my music more and more complicated. I thought, if I could play like John Petrucci I'd be a great musician. But the more I play and listen, the less and less I believe this. Music to me now is about connecting emotionally in unique and valuable ways, it isn't about high or low, fast, or slow, simple or complicated. It's more like an expressive language, and people use it communicate in an individual way.

Your performance spoke something interesting and it entertained me, but it also showed a side of you, that I think if you cultivate it just a bit more, you can really do this too successfully. You got soul just like the rest of us, you got the passion, you got a lot of skill, but I think your biggest challenge, might be in what you don't do. I've realized the hardest music to play long term is not 64th notes, it's not crazy difficult things, it's actually a rest. It's space. It's totally what musicians don't do that probably matters most, because music needs to breath for most to relate to it.

But you got it, Snax. You got crazy skill, talent, and passion... You just might wanna work a bit on restraint! And don't we all! :D If I could sing like that man.....

You managed to express exactly what I am trying to say. I over sang the hell out of it and there's no dynamics. It's cranked to 11 the whole time! LMAO.

"GIDDYUP!"

For fun I used a plugin on this song to give the T-Pain vocal effect also heard on Cher's song "Do You Believe In love?" This is purely for a laugh and not intended to be a serious recording... http://soundcloud.com/mike-bromelow/snax-whos-loving-you-t-pain

It sounds like I swallowed a synthesizer! lol

"GIDDYUP!"

Archived