Trying out my falsetto..

• TMV World Legacy Member

So, at work today I'd figured I'd just sing in falsetto.

There has been alot of discussion on the boards regarding falsetto vs head voice vs mix... Here in Sweden this is what we refer to as "falsetto". There is not the least bit chest or mix in this. It does sound rather silly when sung like this... I usually only use it for "metal screams" in my very highest register, albeit with a sharper and brighter tone (read; higher larynx and immense support).

Never mind the lyrics that I don't know or the fact that I sing a bit off key xD

Just for teh lulz...

Any fans of Elfen Lied..? ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXK4xKraeJM

EDIT: I also noted that vibrato is TREMENDOUSLY easier to achieve when singing in falsetto, than otherwise... I have no idea why this would be the case though...

I actually like this sound and agree this is a falsetto sound to me, but it is a less breathy style. CVT I think would call it neutral without air where as the more typical falsetto in non singers would likely be breathier.

If you cry and/or twang this sound, it changes, you can get sounds closer to Eddie Kendricks or Smokey Robinson. My guess is twang would send it closer to power falsetto, and cry would send it closer to curbing, doing both might get it somewhere in between.

Maybe I'll try to record my own examples when health and circumstances allow, and we could have an interesting discussion about it. Right now my brother is extremely sick and puking up all foods and liquids. He might need to go to the hospital, so even if my throat would allow the sounds out without spasm, it's not the time!

But my opinion is this is not a bad sound, but it's probably best used in context of the right song, right voice, and right artist.

Just a few examples of singers that are considered falsetto that inspire me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKd06s1LNik&feature=relmfu

I actually think I might prefer these kinds of sounds over what metal fans call head voice on average in what I listen to. I don't think any of the sounds are 'bad' and I've enjoyed all kinds of sounds, but it's more just preference and what fits the song, artist, and listener.

To be honest, I consider falsetto a 'type' of head voice configuration too, rather than being a separate thing from head voice. I think it makes more sense to see head and chest voice as more of a 'region' of the voice more so than the techniques being used in the regions. When female classical singers sing in falsetto, classical instructors call this head voice for example, but when men do the same thing it is called falsetto. I think avoiding continual confusion for me means accepting head and chest as vague terms rather than actual explanations of what is going on.

And hey, here is something I saw posted on the CVT forum that I really enjoyed which sounds pretty close to this kind of configuration as far as I can tell for much of the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkRJm5xones

I think this tone here sounds fantastic, and honestly I wish people were less afraid to experiment with these kinds of sounds. When you shut it out, out of fear of sounding feminine, you close off a huge amount of artistic potential.

To me it's like avoiding certain colors when you paint a painting, out of fear that certain colors might look less masculine. As an artist, it's your job to use what best expresses the emotion you are trying to communicate and the message, to paint a sound picture that communicates something to people. If you are afraid of these sounds, it can be self limiting.

I suppose it's just taste too. If people don't like it, that's alright too. But it's sold millions of albums and gained legions of fans, if you are willing to practice singing this way you can be very successful and it's not like it's objectively any worse than any other style of singing.

I couldn't conjure up enough energy to care what you call it, Patrick. That was hauntingly beautiful. It probably was falsetto for you. Just remember that some of us lighter voiced people can sing a full voice note that may sound falsetto to you, even if it wasn't for us.

Yes Ron, that is what is so fascinating about the voice. You can do so much with it and people have such different voices. Sad part is, many of us want what others have, that we lack. All these different voice training programs lure people by appealing to this vanity - 'your voice is capable of exactly everything so long as you buy this product.' I think it is essential to actually learn to accept your voice and apply everything you've got and not stray too far from yourself just because "you want what you dont have".

I have decided to practice my falsetto more because I do like the sound you can achieve with it and how.. Soaring it can sound with a lowered larynx. It's not for every song but... It's a whole different kind of freedom. Every vowel is open for you, no modification.

This is also the absolutely LOUDEST my voice can get.

Yes Ron, that is what is so fascinating about the voice. You can do so much with it and people have such different voices. Sad part is, many of us want what others have, that we lack. All these different voice training programs lure people by appealing to this vanity - 'your voice is capable of exactly everything so long as you buy this product.' I think it is essential to actually learn to accept your voice and apply everything you've got and not stray too far from yourself just because "you want what you dont have".

I've said nearly the same thing a few times before and was told that I was not doing enough with my voice, mainly because of similar statements, not because I was physically doing less with my voice. See, if I just work hard enough and use the right training system for years and years, religiously, I will be able to sound just like Lou Gramm or Steve Perry. So, all that work will have gained me the ability to audition for a tribute band, or the band, itself, if the singer quits. And then everyone will know me as that guy that almost sounds like Steve Perry or Lou Gramm. That would be doing enough with my voice. But working on what it is my voice does without straining and having my own identity, that's not doing enough with my voice.

Archived