The New Voice- Greene and singingmastermind's tongue video

Rate this topic

Billy Budapest

Hello,

Lately I have been having what I think are constriction issues with my voice. I seem to go through it each winter. My other months are fine but toward late Fall and early winter, my throat starts to clench more. I have no idea why it does this. Dryness? When it does, my normally clear voice starts to get this horrible rasp and the higher notes become nothing but rasp. The strange thing is, its not consistent. Parts of a gig, i will experience this, then it goes away and i m fine, or it will not show up at all, or it will be there all night. Its very tough to nail down. Through some work with Tony O'Hora (great guy) he seemed to pinpoint that I was constricting.

So this year I have been looking for stuff to help with this and I stumbled upon Greene's book "the new voice" quite by accident. I'd seen it before but I passed it over for years. WHAT A WEIRD THING THIS IS. Completely different than any voice book I have ever read. It seems to make complete sense to me and I am throwing my fingers down my throat per his exercises and actually touching and massaging the base of my tongue all while trying not to yak. I spent hours doing his stuff yesterday and I am hopeful that his approach will finally be the thing that fixes this issue I am having.

I would be curious on anybody else's impressions or actual experience with Greene's methodology.

Along this same topic, I also bought Joy's tongue exercise video. Very quirky, but I think that this could also offer me some assistance. I know some here have used this and am curious what it did for you.

Happy holidays

billy, i have both. greene's development of the basic shape for singing i use to this day. i did those weird exercises and developed greater control of my larynx. great read.

joy sikorski's tongue video was awesome too.

i recommend roger kain's anf jeff allen's book too.

billy, i have both. greene's development of the basic shape for singing i use to this day. i did those weird exercises and developed greater control of my larynx. great read.

joy sikorski's tongue video was awesome too.

i recommend roger kain's anf jeff allen's book too.

Thanks bob. When u were using the Greene book, did it interfere with your singing at all? Meaning, did you do those exercises nd have to wait before singing live? My tongue and throat muscles got pretty tender.

I will see if I can locate those other books too.

Thanks bob. When u were using the Greene book, did it interfere with your singing at all? Meaning, did you do those exercises nd have to wait before singing live? My tongue and throat muscles got pretty tender.

I will see if I can locate those other books too.

those exercises did not interfere but hey did require a lot of mental strength too.

Well, one thing about winter, we use heat more often. Heat dries me out, a/c does not. Plus, in Texas during summer, we usually get lots of humidity. So, even with the a/c running, my voice does not dry out. However, driving in the car in winter with the heat on, my voice dries out in no time. So, when I get home, if I want to record, I take a hot, steamy shower, first. Inhaling all that steam. My folds thank me for that.

I went through Greene's book and I'm not sure it really helped. It was an interesting experience and I think the exercises does get you familiar with muscles and sensations in the back of your throat. But I also felt like all the exercises gave me a sound I didn't care for. Having read CVT, there is a lot of emphasis on how the arch of the tongue and smaller larynx is important, especially for sharper twangier sounds. I felt like the exercises were making me completely remove all of that resulting in a super dark classical type sound. Afterwards it took a while to get my normal twangy sound back again. I also felt like the parts where he said to push the digrastic muscle outwards against a resistance just introduced more tension overall, and the amount of muscle building seemed overkill, but maybe I already had the muscles built up there.

I would say the finger at the back of the tongue exercises were at least educational. I do feel like I have a better sense of where the back of my tongue is in space.

Interesting, thanks. I am not that into changing my sound either, just removing the constriction that I seem to have. The back of the tongue deal does seem to pinpoint where the tension is and hopefully it will allow me to find and reduce the tension when or before it becomes an issue. That's the hope anyway. So far I haven't noticed any changes in the voice other than it's a bit easier, which is great. Gigging this evening. I'll see if it makes any difference at all.

I went through Greene's book and I'm not sure it really helped. It was an interesting experience and I think the exercises does get you familiar with muscles and sensations in the back of your throat. But I also felt like all the exercises gave me a sound I didn't care for. Having read CVT, there is a lot of emphasis on how the arch of the tongue and smaller larynx is important, especially for sharper twangier sounds. I felt like the exercises were making me completely remove all of that resulting in a super dark classical type sound. Afterwards it took a while to get my normal twangy sound back again. I also felt like the parts where he said to push the digrastic muscle outwards against a resistance just introduced more tension overall, and the amount of muscle building seemed overkill, but maybe I already had the muscles built up there.

I would say the finger at the back of the tongue exercises were at least educational. I do feel like I have a better sense of where the back of my tongue is in space.