Keeping my voice in shape?

Rate this topic

DoverOs

I'm a baritone. On days were I haven't kept up with practice, my modular range will be G2-B4+ 1/4 of C5. On better days that C5 will be like 1/2-3/4. And on really good days where I've had good practice, my voice will be G#2-C5 + the tip of C#5. I really want my voice to stay up in that higher fach, but it keeps falling back down quite easily. The major problem is, is that I don't manage when I sing and when I give myself resting time, so I just end up dropping back down to the normal G2-B4. Any tips please?

I'm a baritone. On days were I haven't kept up with practice, my modular range will be G2-B4+ 1/4 of C5. On better days that C5 will be like 1/2-3/4. And on really good days where I've had good practice, my voice will be G#2-C5 + the tip of C#5. I really want my voice to stay up in that higher fach, but it keeps falling back down quite easily. The major problem is, is that I don't manage when I sing and when I give myself resting time, so I just end up dropping back down to the normal G2-B4. Any tips please?

DoverOs: If you want that C to be there every day, then you should be sirening up higher than that every day, while you are doing something else. Even 15 mins, while walking somewhere, or driving, will help on those off days.

The sirens can be soft, and work the best up high if the throat posture is that of an UH vowel. If you want, you can pretend your mouth is full of hot potato, and drop your jaw, for the exercise, a sort of M, or you can use a more occluded consonant in front of the UH, like a Z or a V.

DoverOs - that's totally doable. A lot of what I learned came from Steven - he's got great advice. A couple years ago I couldn't even do what you can do now. These days, on a good day I can go higher than C6, and other days I only go up to a B5 and I don't try to push it. I have no use for anything above C6, but I go up there just to give me a little headroom. Steven is a true bass and he can sing higher than me - so it doesn't matter if you're a baritone or whatever. You can also try sirens on the semi occluded phonations like "ng" and a lip rolls.

DoverOs - that's totally doable. A lot of what I learned came from Steven - he's got great advice. A couple years ago I couldn't even do what you can do now. These days, on a good day I can go higher than C6, and other days I only go up to a B5 and I don't try to push it. I have no use for anything above C6, but I go up there just to give me a little headroom. Steven is a true bass and he can sing higher than me - so it doesn't matter if you're a baritone or whatever. You can also try sirens on the semi occluded phonations like "ng" and a lip rolls.

Amen to working with what your voice can do as well as reaching above what you need, two different aims that can work together.

Myself, I can go as hgh as Bb5 reliably and don't feel the need to go beyond that. Other than as a stunt. As long as I am solid from E3 to B5, while being able to go down to C3 or B2 (right up on the mic), I'm okay.