Avantasia - Carry Me Over Cover

So, in this one, the chorus is at a spot my voice wants to do weird things.. Not sure what, but I can sing below it and above it a ton easier than the actual chorus... Also, I am not sure what happened to the last chorus as the backups are not timed properly, I just didn't take the time to fix it. - So ignore that one lol.

So, if anyone has a theory as to why the chorus is in such a weird place for me please let me know. And, as usual, this song is hard for me. Another song I leanred in the shower. I am adding it to my daily list of songs to sing in the hopes that maybe my voice will get stronger in the tough sections. Let me know what y'all think!

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11332306&q=hi&newref=1

Keith - that sounds excellent! I can totally relate to the difficulty you're having in the chorus, although it sounds just fine. That Ab4 in the chorus is right at the point at which you could go into head or stay in chest. It's easier to sing higher because it's all head, and of course, lower is chest. Singing right at the transition point is very tricky - it raises the degree of difficulty a few notches. For me, those Journey songs are the same - they work that transition area. All I can say is that with daily practice it gets easier and easier, but it takes a very long time. (well for me it did) I'm still working on it. When you get sick, that part of the range is the first to fall apart.

Funny you mentioned sick in there. A month ago when I was singing a lot I couldnt sing this song . I pulled chest and wore my voice out. Well not on this song, but on another avatasia song . I can actually sing better now that I have taken a break... Or at least higher, which kinda makes me think I was doing something wrong all that time. That Ab4 is easy for me in a siren but very difficult singing words lol.

I have finally figured out who Keith's voice reminds me of in tone. John Schlitt. Especially in the higher notes when he nears his head voice bridge. The tone reminds me alot of John. John Schlitt originally sang for Head East, then later joined Petra when Greg Volz left. Took me awhile, but Keith, that is of whom your voice reminds me.

I have finally figured out who Keith's voice reminds me of in tone. John Schlitt. Especially in the higher notes when he nears his head voice bridge. The tone reminds me alot of John. John Schlitt originally sang for Head East, then later joined Petra when Greg Volz left. Took me awhile, but Keith, that is of whom your voice reminds me.

I'll have to check him out, I've never heard of him lol.

yes you have. If you have ever heard the classic rock song, 'never been any reason' with the phrase, 'save my life I'm going down for the last time', he shared lead vocal duties....back in the 70's and 80's

Oh yeah! I've heard that lol. And you right lol. Ithough my target voice would be Khan or Tate lol, thats not a bad thing :)

go listen to the song, 'Love' by Petra, and listen to his voice when he gets to the prechorus. In tonal quality, as least to me, you sound alot like him. He has been singing for at least 35 years or so, so yes it is a good thing to be compared to him.

As far as Khan or Tate, that may be your target for technique and skill, but tone wise sounds like John Schlitt to me.

Keith,

First and foremost I must say, you and I share very similar likes in music styles. Good job on the cover! I think what's happening in the chorus section is that you're doing a different line. Listen to the line Tobias does, it is a little higher, maybe that'll feel more comfortable?

Sounds sort of like you're doing a middle harmony, it's nice don't get me wrong.

Yvon

Archived