Elton John - Your Song (cover by Felipe Carvalho)

Hi there!

Gave it a shot with this great song after doing my homework today, not usually my thing to sing this kind of material.

Gotta say, its much harder than it looks, it requires a nice performance line and has tons of dynamics. And by all means I simply cant go loud. Very fun to sing it, I recommend it if you guys are looking for something different to try :D.

So here it goes:

http://www.4shared.com/mp3/WjvZG-Cy/Felipe_Carvalho_Your_Song.html

Please tell me what you guys think!

• TMV World Legacy Member

I liked it! You've got a very nice baritone voice. Sounds both professional and commercially viable!!

However... You should practice two things which I heard from the start; pitch, as you were a LITTLE bit flat here and there, landed just a bit off when travelling intervals. Also, the drills and tiny "wails" needs to be more agile, more coherent... They sound a bit... Try hard, compared to the strong charismatic voice you deliver the song with.

Tnx man! Ill keep it in mind, the pitch has no other way around, gotta practice more low scales. (Im not really baritone, this thing is almost on the limit of my range)

Tell me something though, I dont understand what drills and tiny "wails" are, what do you mean? Is it the chorus? (english is not my first language)

Ah. Well, you have pretty good pronunciation so I must compliment you on that =)

Drills and wails... Well, quick interval changes at the end of phrases (mostly).

You're not a baritone? You don't have a "weak" lower range such as most (even professional) tenors have. You have some "oomph" in your low/low-mid register. I have that too but that is, well, because I'm not a tenor, haha!

Anyway, also about the high parts, "mind" the, "ah" vowel is a tough one. It allows for a lot of air to flow and many singers try to overcompensate by closing up even more to narrow the flow and therefor get alot of strain and a weaker note. I have this problem unless I overdrive the note. I don't really know the method on how to get strong, boomy "ah" sounds in mid/upper-mid range in pure chest.

This is pretty good Felipe. I have this album and song. The only thing, is if I was a listener, I'd like more breath variation and dynamics for this kind of song. You had this reedy but thick kind of tone that was good in itself, but it seemed like it could use more contrast both in volume and breath as it sounded a bit one dimensional compared to the original in voice delivery.

Ah. Well, you have pretty good pronunciation so I must compliment you on that =)

Drills and wails... Well, quick interval changes at the end of phrases (mostly).

You're not a baritone? You don't have a "weak" lower range such as most (even professional) tenors have. You have some "oomph" in your low/low-mid register. I have that too but that is, well, because I'm not a tenor, haha!

Anyway, also about the high parts, "mind" the, "ah" vowel is a tough one. It allows for a lot of air to flow and many singers try to overcompensate by closing up even more to narrow the flow and therefor get alot of strain and a weaker note. I have this problem unless I overdrive the note. I don't really know the method on how to get strong, boomy "ah" sounds in mid/upper-mid range in pure chest.

Yes, those pesky things. Thats the hardest thing for me to do, my voice simply does not react quickly enough.

lol yeah, but my low/low-mid ends quickly, and if you listen carefully, its not really sooooo heavy, depressed the larynx a lil bit to compensate.

About the Ah, I usually cover them more when doing something more rock/metal, the other song I sent has a few I think. They were confortable like this, so I didnt even pay attention. You think they are not coherent? I think that if I cover then it will get operatic very quickly :P

This is pretty good Felipe. I have this album and song. The only thing, is if I was a listener, I'd like more breath variation and dynamics for this kind of song. You had this reedy but thick kind of tone that was good in itself, but it seemed like it could use more contrast both in volume and breath as it sounded a bit one dimensional compared to the original in voice delivery.

Tnx man. That was near my actual limit on what I can do with dynamics without just ruinning everything else, i will surelly study this song more. Mr Elton John was one hell of a singer, this song is a lesson on how to perform with simplicity, and yet be so strong. To me the original sounds like a force of nature.

Tnx again for listenning!

Archived