for lou gramm you need diaphragm

VideoHere

Cool, gotcha. So do intense support and glottal compression kind of go hand in hand? Or are they two separable parts of your recipe?

I ask because I'm trying to maintain support and and open throat on my higher notes, but I'm also trying to do away with a lot of the glottal compression. I'm always working on getting a "windy" sound into a twangy head voice (like that solomon burke and joe tex stuff I'm always posting), and when I get it right my support muscles feel like they're working but there's SO little glottal compression.

at times...

glottal compression as explained by ken tamplin is a feeling like your holding back air when you sing. what is tricky for me is fold compression. i have learned to adduct only as much as i produce a strong non-breathy tone. i really like the feeling that i have sealed the folds together without undue force or without overadducting (which i was guilty of before).

i was the guy who would build up this serious level of air pressure and then pulverize the folds shut to resist the pressure, and that's how i ended up in trouble. i sounded great, but i was using way too much force.....why? because i can.....i had to learn how to scale back without giving up the intensity...that's the support.

now i know better. frisell explained to me that a big voice has a lot to overcome in terms of regulating strength and dynamics.

the polyp episode scared the living hell out of me and has forced me to carefully re-evaluate all aspects of my singing. for a guy like me to start doing more gentler movements like these frisell head voice slides and steve fraser helping me with gentler, more precise onsets was some of the best things i could have done.

Archived