Haha! Just started my own online heavy metal vocal course.

The first thing that I'd like to say is that if it is inappropriate for me to post these videos here, please let me know and I will take them down ASAP. I don't want to step on any toes, and I certainly don't want to piss anyone off.

Check this out!!! I just started doing some online vocal lessons. Subscribe to my page and I'll post vids up every two weeks. The rest of the instructional vids are on my bands page. Check it out. Let me know wattcha guys think. http://www.youtube.com/user/forgottenlgcy?feature=mhee

This is an incredible public service for the health of singers, ForgottenLegacyVox. I'm not sure if you realize just how valuable it is.

The fact that you are actually giving out beginner information in a sequential manner is a godsend for people who have hundreds of more advanced exercises to choose from readily at their finger tips and could risk injury by advancing too quickly or trying them at random.

I would highly recommend your lessons become stickied here in the critique section for every beginning singer to watch and protect their health in the process. The only thing I would add, is to emphasize that Rome wasn't built in a day and to every beginning singer out there, do not jump further and further into the exercises in chase of the end result. Spend significant time on each step, go slowly and comfortably. There is no rush, rushing will get you in trouble as it did me.

In order to not promote competition with people selling commercial voice programs, you may not want to give free lessons that are competitive with their products (E.G. 3 octave range perfection), but if you kept your focus on achieving a healthy voice, I think this is priceless in value and shouldn't be sold.

You could have saved my voice if I had something like this rather than stumbling across random internet sites and reading random books emphasizing bridging/maximum range exercises at any cost as if it was the only relevant part of singing. I really hope this will be ok with the moderation. I would rest easy knowing people have access to the absolute basics at their fingertips and would have a lot less concern over the dangers of a website offering so much advanced technique discussion for people of all walks of life to stumble into. When I think of children or teens like Elena House, people like my former pre injury self who sang for years with no voice education, or people singing for near the first time like Aitcheson stumbling into this enormous amount of random voice technique information, I see a lot of danger.

If I knew there was an effort to also make sure there was beginner information readily available at all times right at their finger tips to counteract this danger, I'd have much less qualms, I would honestly sleep better at night.

So thank you very much, I hope this will be a success. I know I would have peace of mind that what happened to me will be unlikely to happen to anyone else if beginners had a sign pointing >>>>>>>>>>> This way, instead of pointing at full voiced E5s.

• Administrator

As the founder of this forum, we have to be careful to not be too much in a conflict of interest. The primary goal of the TMV Forum is to educate and help singers. The challenge I personally get into is, often times the best advise I have to give someone in a sincere interest to help them is, to invest in some of my training content and begin working with me. It can appear to be self serving, but in all honesty, it really isn't the main thrust... it is to help people. For a few years I would say, "well, I know how to help you and (thinking to my self that the they need to work with me to get it fixed), but I can't say anything because Im the founder and don't want to appear too self serving"... I tried that for a few years and it doesn't work. when you do that, the person doesn't get any help at all.

So the short answer is, yes, its ok for you to present your video tutorials here, BUT... there is a big caveat ForgottenLegacyVox... I don't want to see nothing but advertisements. You have to give, to get. If you want a little bit of air time to tell people about your service, we as a community want to see you jumping in and answering questions and getting involved in this forum. That means FREE information and generous time answering questions and helping people out.

In my view, so long as you give to the community first by offering free advise and participating in discussions as a normal member, its ok... to a limited extent. I don't want to see a product pitch video every day on here.

So jump in, share your knowledge and help these guys out. We can use all the subject matter experts we can get in here, there are a lot of people looking for help, when we see that, its ok to remind people from time to time that you can help them with your service.

Tact and class and being reasonable is what we expect.

Thanks for joining...

Robert Lunte

• Administrator

The first thing that I'd like to say is that if it is inappropriate for me to post these videos here, please let me know and I will take them down ASAP. I don't want to step on any toes, and I certainly don't want to piss anyone off.

Check this out!!! I just started doing some online vocal lessons. Subscribe to my page and I'll post vids up every two weeks. The rest of the instructional vids are on my bands page. Check it out. Let me know wattcha guys think. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv7kciWi4Pw&list=UUSu51HUPPX_qnD3dyxIC9AA&index=4&feature=plcp

On second thought, I just watched your video. Please review the forum rules. We are not keen on using the word "faggot" or the "F" word and profanity. Its unnecessary and not classy at all. That is the bottom line bro... it doesn't come off making you look cool, it makes you look foolish. Now I believe you have a lot to share with people... but this video has profanity and trash talk in it and thats not how we roll here.

Trust me, Im trying to do you a favor, you cannot underestimate the quality of people that are reading this forum. No one is going to think that profanity is cool. Thats not what we are doing here... I need to ask you to remove your video and replace it with something else that doesn't have profanity.

Thanks for your understanding.

Could you create something similar, Rob, or could you two collaborate so it's not in his name alone and be made more appropriate? Like 'grade 1' singing for free, purely for health reasons, while grade 2-10 would be sold commercially as your program. I completely understand the conflict of interest, but if the beginners could have some very basic health advice, that worked in your favor, that would be great.

I think advanced singers forget what it's like to be completely and totally uneducated on voice, and stumble online to find 100s of pages of technique discussion that is both confusing, and intriguing. They don't realize that most of it is out of their league and suddenly it's all at their finger tips and a constant temptation to rush into things that they shouldn't be. Try as you might, not everyone is going to get lessons on the very first day they decide to sing. They are very good to have, but do to age, money, psychological reasons, not everyone is going to get lessons and can be at risk.

To me, just a health sticky would ease my mind. I know I'm not popular here because of my incessant worrying about health and I do promise to leave you all in peace like I said, but if it's possible for this to be created without giving away too much 'advanced' material or being commercial conflict of interest, as a nice public safety announcement, that's all I really wanted. That was what I was trying to offer people. Just so this forum is less random and geared towards advanced singers discussing their 3rd octaves, while beginners are constantly tempted.

On second thought, I just watched your video. Please review the forum rules. We are not keen on using the word "faggot" or the "F" word and profanity. Its unnecessary and not classy at all. That is the bottom line bro... it doesn't come off making you look cool, it makes you look foolish. Now I believe you have a lot to share with people... but this video has profanity and trash talk in it and thats not how we roll here.

Trust me, Im trying to do you a favor, you cannot underestimate the quality of people that are reading this forum. No one is going to think that profanity is cool. Thats not what we are doing here... I need to ask you to remove your video and replace it with something else that doesn't have profanity.

Thanks for your understanding.

Actually, this is true too. The content is good, the delivery is inappropriate. I didn't even think of this.

KillerKU: Thank you for your feedback. I wasn't aware that I was doing something this good. Hey, I'm really just trying to keep it fun, and real while trying to keep it as simple as I can without confusing people. Thank you very much for the encouragement!!!

Robert Lunte: Since I am getting a lot out of your website since I recently joined, and you're allowing me to post these vids here, I promise I'll mention you and your forum, and your awesome vocal course! I completely understand where you're coming from, and it seems fair to me to help out as much as I can in return. Thank you both for your reply's!

I'll remove the video from your website. No problem at all. I swear in the video because I want my training to be fun, and I want it to connect with people in a real kinda way. You know, talk to you as you would me if we were sitting on my porch drinking some beer and talking about heavy metal.

I mean no disrespect toward anyone, and I'm certainly not using the word "faggety" in a racist way. I was using it in context of how other people have described hair metal to me in the past. The F word just comes across naturally to me as it does most people in metal, so I plan on swearing a lot in the hopes that people will watch these videos and realize I'm just like any other regular Joe.

I meant no offense, and will take them down in respect of this forum, but my videos will remain on Youtube in the context they are now.

KillerKU: Thank you for your feedback. I wasn't aware that I was doing something this good. Hey, I'm really just trying to keep it fun, and real while trying to keep it as simple as I can without confusing people. Thank you very much for the encouragement!!!

Robert Lunte: Since I am getting a lot out of your website since I recently joined, and you're allowing me to post these vids here, I promise I'll mention you and your forum, and your awesome vocal course! I completely understand where you're coming from, and it seems fair to me to help out as much as I can in return. Thank you both for your reply's!

You could have saved me man. This absolute beginner health stuff is probably the most important part and it's what advanced singers never talk about! If you can get people off on the right foot before they walk (or run,) I mean, that makes the rest of the process significantly safer.

I've had a bunch of mental problems even posting here, cause I honestly worry a lot about this, I can't even talk to people about this very healthily. I was just going to leave, but if you two can work something out, that will protect people without being a commercial conflict of interest, I would be so relieved.

I'll remove the video from your website. No problem at all. I swear in the video because I want my training to be fun, and I want it to connect with people in a real kinda way. You know, talk to you as you would me if we were sitting on my porch drinking some beer and talking about heavy metal.

I mean no disrespect toward anyone, and I'm certainly not using the word "faggety" in a racist way. I was using it in context of how other people have described hair metal to me in the past. The F word just comes across naturally to me as it does most people in metal, so I plan on swearing a lot in the hopes that people will watch these videos and realize I'm just like any other regular Joe.

I meant no offense, and will take them down in respect of this forum, but my videos will remain on Youtube in the context they are now.

I know you didn't intend offense, it's not a big deal to me as I know a lot of people who speak that way. I like gay people just fine and I'm sure you don't have a problem either. People use words without intending them that way, and it doesn't bother me between friends. That's probably why I didn't catch it and Rob did, as he is more commercially minded, where a word like that could sink a product in it's tracks.

Either way, I appreciate it up on youtube and appreciate the effort. If anyone wants to work on a project like this for the forum, I will leave my last bit of input here, that it would be probably about the best thing possible to be done just for health reasons.

Thank you Killer. I am also not racist in any way towards any kind of people. I guess it's like calling your friend "retarded", you don't mean to hurt anyone by saying it, but it could offend the right person. I understand where Rob is coming from.

Yeah, well there is the word 'lame' too as it originated as being associated with cripples (and thus becoming a word to use for something undesirable, as few wanted to be crippled). For some reason people got over where that one came from, but on the others people are more sensitive, yeah.

My throat/voice is lame in every sense of the word, so yeah. So if anyone wants to offer beginner health info like you were posting, that would help prevent 'lame' things from happening.

But I'm gone, I'll be focusing on me and my health now like I promised, rather than nagging people here any further. This was too important for me to pass up.

Archived