NG Siren

Keith

Thanks! I was doing that 5 tone scal backwards lol. That "ng" is very difficult for my in higher notes. I can get to A4 with it, but thats about it.

keith, it just seems that way. in a very short time, you will be sailing up with that sound if you stay relaxed in the throat and open the mouth a little more as you go higher. relax and don't add any weight...nice and light.

i love that exercise because it teaches you to relax and stay connected and you simply can't constrict. it's a great warmup/warmdown too.

So, how long should I spend on these NG sirens? I also had a question about training in general. If one were to follow Frisels method, would that person stop doing all the other exercises that he was doing and work on that method exclusively?

the ng? a few minutes..just siren up and down nice and light just stay connected. it's a great warmup/warmdown.

i do roger kain's exercises at night and frisell's during the course of the day. although i exercise and practise songs 5-6 days a week. i'm not so structured like used to be in terms when and how long i exercise. if i feel like i need a day off, i take it..if one day i did 20 minutes, tomorrow i might do an hour.

i can't afford a teacher, so i have to d.i.y., and hope......

So, as long as all exercises are done correctly, one set does not corrupt another?

Keith: Fine to do them all. As to how to ascend higher than the A4, I ask this leading question: What vowel are you thinking 'behind' the NG? That is, what is your throat posture and tongue position.

At the A, I suggest a transition toward relaxed UH in the throat if you are not already using it.

I need to add something , after listening /looking at that video. The "trouble" of that example is that she doesn't say a VERY important aspect of the Gn. THE YAWN. If you won't have high soft palate while doing (everything) the ng exercises the sound would be nasal , and you will feel it (only) into your nose. this is absolutely won't help you develop the harmonies (resonances) in your sound. So . it is very important to have a high facial expression while practicing. and breath every time like half a yawn, so your soft palate will raise up... your muscles on your cheek bones should be lifting up to.. and absolutely don't push the sound. instead try to do it with pleasure...

So, I have have been working on a yawn configuration - and what I have noticed is that I get a lot of jaw tension while doing it. And tongue tension. I do however get one heck of an operetic tone. Am i raising my soft palate too much?

What do you mean by jaw tension? the yawn is from the inside and all the other part of your mouth should be relaxed. If you yawn (because you're tired) you have tension on your jaw? I think you may strive for something natural instead of something forced. Your jaw should be a little open but relaxed and let it go down a little bit. Maybe you are opening your mouth too much (like a smile of a clown)?

the operatic tone (warmer tone) comes from the yawn causing the larynx to descend, whichs tends to open you up to resonate more efficiently than i higher larynx position.

you probably aren't as relaxed in the throat, tongue and jaw as you need to be.

the operatic tone (warmer tone) comes from the yawn causing the larynx to descend, whichs tends to open you up to resonate more efficiently than i higher larynx position.

you probably aren't as relaxed in the throat, tongue and jaw as you need to be.

Thats exactly right! I have to force my tongue to stay up against the roof of my mouth in order to even make the "ng" sound.

yes, but for the 'ng" to really work well relaxation in the throat, jaw and tongue is essential.

you can also play around with "ung" as in 'hung." you'll see as you learn to relax and just let the tone swing (siren) you'll be loving this exercise.

Thats exactly right! I have to force my tongue to stay up against the roof of my mouth in order to even make the "ng" sound.

This was my guess.. How can you "force" anything while doing a natural a REAL yawn. If you force yourself to do anything than the yawn doesn't work. You should work on an internal (from the inside) feeling on what is happening before a yawn start.. Do you see my point? do you know those moments you get tears in your eyes coz you're sleepy?

try to feel that sensation starting inside . If you lift a bit your cheek bones , skeez your eyes a bit and start wanting a yawn slowly you will start feeling the correct sensation. Rememeber it is never forced thing in singing. Realy. like a rule - never force.

Good luck! :)

then the exercise on GN should be the half way for a yawn. Clearly with a full and real one we can't really complete a scale. You should while practicing on the GN not to "sit" on the tones, but rather try them to be light. (with a support of course...)

This was my guess.. How can you "force" anything while doing a natural a REAL yawn. If you force yourself to do anything than the yawn doesn't work. You should work on an internal (from the inside) feeling on what is happening before a yawn start.. Do you see my point? do you know those moments you get tears in your eyes coz you're sleepy?

try to feel that sensation starting inside . If you lift a bit your cheek bones , skeez your eyes a bit and start wanting a yawn slowly you will start feeling the correct sensation. Rememeber it is never forced thing in singing. Realy. like a rule - never force.

Good luck! :)

I do not have to struggle to yawn, but in order to make the "ng" noise. the back part of your tongue has to be ppressed against the roof of your mouth... And That is the hard part for me - it seems there is great distance between the back of my tongue and my soft palate when I add yawn.

keith, you don't want the tongue to press .....just let it touch lightly slightly behind the upper teeth. as you sing the "ng" or "ung" you should strive for a buzzing, a vibration in the parts of the front of the face.

really try to feel a buzz.

relax the face, relax the jaw, relax the tongue.

:D I believe that no matter what subject we are talking about in life... doing something against itself = forcing, won't do good.

I learned that every time I live with an harmony with my body, and with my singing, than things will get pay off with time, and the opposite.

Our body system is way too perfect that we, the humans will know better than it.. no?

Think about it... Singing with harmony , with joy, with pleasure.. is the answer for so many technique problems..

(I don't know if I can explain myself enough:) but, think about it....

Archived