NG Siren

Keith

Sarit - You're right. I think a lot of times, especially with the tricky male passagio, guys just don't know what to do. Nothing feels natural up there at first, and then frustration kicks in, and joy and pleasure goes out the window!

Keith - I think the issue is that the yawn is an exaggerated position that really helps get the sensation of vowel modification through the passagio in OPEN vowels - especially "ah".

The "ng" + yawn is really difficult and almost unnatural. I think what Steven was suggesting with thinking about "uh" while doing "ng" is not the yawn position. Thinking "uh" while doing "ng" helps create more space in the back of the throat for reasonance. You could also try the "thinking small" thing while you approach A4. It may be more of an issue needing to let go and let your folds get thinner.

There is another thing to add to it.. I heard a bit of the music that Keith has been doing.. Of course it is not a "soft" repertoire. I mean some music styles force you sometimes NOT to use your voice right, or to treat it in a soft way... So I think that let's take an example on myself.. If I will decide that from today I am a hard rock singer and start to sing with rock band , add here and there some screaming once in a while.. then I will try to do a yawn or a ng exercises... what do you think guys? I am not so sure it will work. What I mean is that it is inevitable that some music style may heart your vocal chords and may also set your voice in a very specific place, other than the mask or in the resonances spaces... So.. it is not oly the exercise's fault.. this is what I am trying to say...

Archived